Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading another thread about feeding your Mbuna and that made me wonder how I should feed my fish... I have 26 Mbunas in the tank and their size ranges from 1" to over 3" at the moment...

The big fish act aggressively at feeding time and eat more, the smaller fish just take a quick bite or two... is there a way through which I can make sure the smaller fish get equal if not more food???

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
is there a way through which I can make sure the smaller fish get equal if not more food???
I use smaller pellets in these situations. They'll disperse more and no way the greedy guys can get them all.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...

I usually feed them small brown NLS pellets...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its NLS small fish formula... .5mm sinking pellets

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I spread the food from one end of the tank to the other quickly. The big guys can't be everywhere and the small guys get their share.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Ditto.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use floating pellets and disperse them on one end.
The use smaller flakes or crisps along the entire top.

The big guys go for the large ones and the little guys get the small stuff. Only sometimes they nab a large pellet and carry it around trying to eat it and keep the big guys from stealing it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tim I have the NLS Grow as well but that too is .5mm...

Thanks DJR... Can I feed them fruits??? We currently have water-melons and sweet melons in season, should I try these???

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
NLS Cichlid Formula is 1mm and Grow is .5mm.

I find feeding human food messy and unnecessary but sometimes fun. Be sure to remove what they don't eat in a couple hours...regardless of where in the tank they scatter it. This is usually enough to dissuade me, but maybe right before a water change/vacuum?

These are the fruits I've seen in commercial fish foods, anything else would be an experiment: kiwi, mango, peach, apple, pear, apricot, papaya. Seems like those brightly colored, firm fleshed fruits that are good for humans too.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
monisaab said:
Tim I have the NLS Grow as well but that too is .5mm...

Thanks DJR... Can I feed them fruits??? We currently have water-melons and sweet melons in season, should I try these???
Ok, checked online and found a small fish forumla that's .35, but not all are, so maybe he's changed up sizes just to confuse me. :) I know I used to have .35 NLS at one time. Regardless, as long as all fish are getting at least a few pellets, I wouldn't worry about it. They will get what they need without a whole lot of intervention on our part.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks DJR and Tim...

Yes they sure do get a few pellet but I was wondering if that was enough for them and if you say it is then it is...

Will try melon today and see how it goes as water-melons are not firm-fleshed...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have tried feeding fresh fruits to my Mbuna last week...

I fed them Melons and Water-melons and they seem to like water-melons... I don't know if that because of the sweetness of the melons or the different texture of the water-melon flesh...

Mind sharing your experiences???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts