Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently found trouble feeding my jag cichlid but she seems ok now and has got the appetite back.

Something that I've found she loves and will take without hesitation is fruits of the sea from asda. Which is mussels squid prawns and crab.

I just want to check that its ok to feed food that has been packaged for human consumption as it works out a lot cheaper than buying from a pet store.

The packaging doesn't say anything about additives, just shelled washed and freezed?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Only guideline I've ever really heard about in that regard is to make sure the offerings are raw.
Other than that, you should be just fine with what you're already doing---sounds like a good meal...I can see why your jag must love it so much! 8)

BV

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers

one other question on the subject - is it ok to feed it frozen?

it doesn't hurt there tum tums does it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I always defrost the food first, I don't know if this is necessary but seeing has they don't eat frozen foods in nature I don't think its too much trouble to leave them on the side until they are room temperature.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Rule of thumb should be to defrost it first then rinse. I keep a small plastic bowl by the tanks. All I do is scoop up some tank water and drop what ever I'mm feeding into the bowl for a few minutes till it's thawed. Then I dump the tank water out into the sink, rinse out the bowl and rinse off the food stuff. The reason I rinse the food stuff is because when you thaw seafood out it seems like there's always these little particles of stuff and I don't need to overload my filters any more that they're already overloaded :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts