Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions for those of you with Tropheus keeping experience.

1. How often do you feed? I currently just feed once a day but have read where others feed 2 to 3 times a day in smaller quantities.

2. For those that feed more than once a day.Do you feed the same food every feeding? All I`ve ever done is a high quality Spirulina with skipping a feeding once in a 7 day cycle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,642 Posts
Are they adults? Fry? Juveniles?

This is my third time with tropheus. I feed the adults twice a day. Each time all they can eat in about 30-40 seconds. Adding it slowly to the tank over those 30-40 seconds.
New Life Spectrum cichlid pellets or NorthFin Veggie formula sinking pellets. Variety is NOT the key, consistency is. No treats of shrimp, etc, etc, like people do with other cichlids. Keep it simple and basic.

I have never lost an adult tropheus (except one that jumped ship and found him dead on the floor).
I don't skip a day a week for tropheus like I have for other cichlids. Consistency is important I think.
Sometimes if I am gone for a long day, (like leave in the dark or return in the dark), they only get fed once (30-40 seconds) but that is rare.
Juveniles get the same treatment as above but three times a day.

By the way, keep up with the water changes. If you are changing water once a month then you should not be feeding twice a day. But then, If you are changing water once a month then you should probably not be keeping tropheus anyways.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Mine are fed 1x per day, I feed Kens green flake, and Kens spirulina pellets. Pellets are either 1 or 1.5mm. In past, I've used NLS and some other foods. Key is to slowly introduce new foods. The tank gets a 50% change weekly. This is a colony that has gone from 23 to over 50 and always has juvenile and fry in it.

My schedule just does not allow for feeding more than 1x daily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,462 Posts
I used to feed my groups (30-36 pc per group) 1tsp of 1mm pellets, twice a day. I would mix NLS thera+A NLS cichlid formula, Northfin veggie and Northfin cichlid.
I changed about 90-100g on my 120g tanks every weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
In response to your questions:
(1) twice a day when I can, once when I can't
(2) always feed spirulina flake and NLS pellets. 2-3 times a week I feed mysis and cyclops.

I have a tank of duboisi with juvies and fry that is starting to get over-populated! It does mean my feeding has to cater for all sizes and ages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,462 Posts
kaphil said:
In response to your questions:
(1) twice a day when I can, once when I can't
(2) always feed spirulina flake and NLS pellets. 2-3 times a week I feed mysis and cyclops.

I have a tank of duboisi with juvies and fry that is starting to get over-populated! It does mean my feeding has to cater for all sizes and ages.
Do you feed Mysis in order to condition the females for breeding purposes? I would feed mysis once a week if I was trying to build up the numbers of the group.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Not really - can it have that affect?
To be honest I have always added some frozen food to the diet of my tropheus, small amounts only and mainly mysis and cyclops though I have occasionally fed daphnia. Also it is handy for the fry because of the small bits that adults leave but fry will eat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,462 Posts
kaphil said:
Not really - can it have that affect?
To be honest I have always added some frozen food to the diet of my tropheus, small amounts only and mainly mysis and cyclops though I have occasionally fed daphnia. Also it is handy for the fry because of the small bits that adults leave but fry will eat.
Yes, it can help the females become gravid. No wonder you have lots of fry. :thumb:
I use it the same way to condition Foai.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
noddy said:
kaphil said:
Not really - can it have that affect?
To be honest I have always added some frozen food to the diet of my tropheus, small amounts only and mainly mysis and cyclops though I have occasionally fed daphnia. Also it is handy for the fry because of the small bits that adults leave but fry will eat.
Yes, it can help the females become gravid. No wonder you have lots of fry. :thumb:
I use it the same way to condition Foai.
Used to use it for same purpose with my Frontosa. Interesting that it is ok to feed to trophs. Might have to try it, not that I need more fry though.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top