Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about feeding my Mbuna and Peacocks/Haps. We'll be on an extended vacation soon and will be gone for 3 weeks.
We do have someone "watching our place, but they will be here for only about an hour at a time and have absolutely zero knowledge about fish.

What suggestions might anyone have so that when we get back hopefully the fish are all here
:fish: :fish: :fish:
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would do a series of water changes leading up to your vacation, to ensure that the nitrate build up is minimal. I would instruct the person to feed every second day and to not overfeed. I have put each feeding into small sandwich baggies in the past, to ensure that the person doesn't "feel bad for the hungry fishies" and overfeed.

If you are worried about the overfeeding issue, hide your food containers and only leave out each feeding ration.

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I left for vacation for a week I had bought a 7 day pill container (the kind you get at the drug store for old people with SMTWTFS labeled on each section). I filled the appropriate amount of food for each day that I wanted them fed and put that on top of my tank. When I got back the fish were fine and I knew they were fed appropriately.

For 3 weeks could your filters last without a cleaning and would your tank last without a water change? That would be a lot to ask of a person that doesn't know about keeping fish.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree with the rationing of the food or getting a auto feeder.

The filters and water will be fine...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ravenatnm said:
When I left for vacation for a week I had bought a 7 day pill container
This is exactly what I use- pill containers with the days labeled. While the 'house sitters' are at the house I would ask that they look to see the fish are behaving normally, the filters are working and that the temp feels okay (no heating malfunctions).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts