Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have a tank which is mostly Mbuna however I do have two OB peacocks in with them. I'm wanting to make sure both get the best diet although I am fully aware that they have Different nutritional needs.

I have vitalis green rift lake pellets which are specifically for Mbuna and 100% green and algae based. I also have the vitalis red rift lake pellets which is about 40% protein. I was thinking with two feeds daily one could be green and one could be red, which is much easier that trying to target feed them which seems impossible. I've heard of NLS cichlid pellets which I assume is for both which would be easier but wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I would switch to NLS Cichlid Formula 1mm sinking pellets or the same product from Northfin. They specify all the ingredients so you can judge the quality.

If you have to choose between the 2 Vitalis options, choose the green. Better suited to the demasoni and they are the fish in your tank with the longest gut and therefore most susceptible to digestive problems. The peacocks will be fine.

Note Vitalis does not list all of the exact ingredient specifications.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I don't have to choose between the vitalis products it's just what I have. I have both red and green.....thought I would feed alternately but will feed mostly green from now on. You think the peacocks will be ok on the green? It's mostly algae from what I have read. Question on the NLS pellets.......are the pellets good for Mbunas and peacocks meaning I can just feed them all this? If so I'll buy some off amazon. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Yes and yes.

Google the Vitalis green ingredients: ingredients listed fish make up the largest percentage of the food.

Fish and fish derivatives, algae, derivatives of vegetable origin, molluscs and crustaceans, oils and fats, minerals, vitamins.

Protein 36.8%, Moisture 21%, Inorganic Matter 20%, Fat Content 9.5%, Crude Fibre 1.3%.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts