Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be gone for about a week. Does anyone know the length of time it's safe to not feed cichlids? I checked the library resources but couldn't find any answers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think it's a week.

I would still check though.

Good Luck

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
They can definitely go a week, no problem.
It's definitely preferable to having some well meaning friend, neighbor or family member come in and OVER feed them to death. Seriously. People who know nothing about fish and probably don't even like them all that much just love to over feed them. It happens all the time on the forum and it's often not just one or two fish but entire tanks are wiped out.

If you do have a friend, neighbor or family member feed them my advice is to put each day's food ration in a separate cup or baggie that is clearly marked and then HIDE the actual container of food where they can't possibly find it. And while you're at it make sure the frig and cupboards are empty too so they won't go looking for crackers or left over casseroles to feed the poor fish.

Robin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Robin said:
They can definitely go a week, no problem.
It's definitely preferable to having some well meaning friend, neighbor or family member come in and OVER feed them to death. Seriously. People who know nothing about fish and probably don't even like them all that much just love to over feed them. It happens all the time on the forum and it's often not just one or two fish but entire tanks are wiped out.
Thanks for the info! You're completely right about people feeding them too much. They do when I'm around, so imagine what it'd be like without me there.

I'll just let them chew on some of the algae that's sitting on a rock or two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts