Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, iv read many many times... and i hear feed 2-3 times a day... as much as they can consume in 1-2 minutes....

but for some reason im confused about that....

i give them 2-3 pinch of food... and there allways attacking it like mad... am i feeding too little?
here is what a "pinch" of mine looks like

any insight would be great. as im getting a little worried about my fish starving...

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If they're still eating off the substrate after 30 seconds, you're likely feeding too much. If the food is all gone before 30 seconds is up, you're likely not feeding enough.
Be more concerned about over feeding than not feeding enough, they can easily go a couple of weeks with no food.
I feed once daily what they can eat in about 45 seconds.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That is enough for 2-3 feedings, going off your current stock list.

I feed my tanks twice a day with anywhere from 8-12 hours in between feedings... Usually only what they can eat in about 30 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
GTZ said:
Be more concerned about over feeding than not feeding enough, they can easily go a couple of weeks with no food. I feed once daily what they can eat in about 45 seconds.
Plus one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The following post may ruffle a few feathers, but I speak from experience after decades of being a tropical fish hobbyist, as well as being a former manager at a pet store and an aquarium design and maintenance business, and then running my own aquarium design business as well for a while. This was a few decades ago.

The facts are these... (Boy, is this guy bold!) :D

Pet store and LFS owners, managers and employees would be very grateful if you were to spend your hard-earned cash buying fish food all the time -- particularly expensive brands such as Hikari pellets -- which is what I feed my Malawi cichlids.

But, if the truth be told, as a few posters here have noted, your fish do not need to be fed every single day, and much less several times a day.

We tropical fish hobbyists are so indoctrinated by long-held traditions which have become anchored in the tropical fish business: Surely you must feed your fish several times a day. Surely you must change your filter pads and buy new ones every single week. Surely you must do this, and surely you must do that.

But tell me; who is profiting most from all of this? Your fish, or business interests?

The truth is, I now feed my fish once every other day, and sometimes even once every four days. Not only does it result in the tank staying cleaner, and the water purer, but it also ensures that they have a good appetite when I do feed them.

My fish have not suffered in the least as a result of this practice. I started out with five mbunas in April of 2009, and now have dozens in the tank, and the females are still breeding all the time, the males are still posturing all the time and digging their mating pits, the fish are still displaying brilliant blue colors, etc.

So that is my take on the feeding situation. I feed once every three or four days using standard Hikari mini pellets, and Hikari Gold -- the red pellets -- when I have them on hand. I stock up for months at a time.

I hope this helps someone; and I am not looking to debate. I am just sharing my personal experiences.

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
What you feed has a bearing on how much to feed and whether you are going for fast growout or maintainence. The last Malawis I had, 3 male P.flavus were fed with enough daphnia to have it constantly in front of them 24/7. The first year they grew like crazy for the period I had the daphnia, and the second year when they were full grown, they just ate well. With the daphnia, there were some blood worms and assorted other aquatic insect larvae. All my tanks received the same treatment; the only downside is that when you feed that much you need to change more water.
Scientific studies have shown that you can reduce a fishes diet by 70% from optimum and still have some growth. So, it depends on your goals. Usually with young fish, I want rapid growth and feed accordingly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feed mine 3 times a day, what they can eat in 20 seconds. I never have any appetite issues, they are ALWAYS starving for food.

I have a 55g with 21 mbunas. In 5 days my nitrates have not risen to even 20ppm. I do have a lot of fast growing plants in the tank though.

I feed spirulina flakes in the morning and Hikari Gold pellets for lunch and dinner. The 3 small feedings a day makes a major difference in their agression. I've tried once a day and by late afternoon they all want to kill each other. With 3 small feedings they seem to be much more mellow, yet still very active and still constantly begging for more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
LOL they probably do...

I'm going on vacation today though and my wife will be taking over for a week or two so I told her to cut them down to once a day lol.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Stumpjumper said:
LOL they probably do...

I'm going on vacation today though and my wife will be taking over for a week or two so I told her to cut them down to once a day lol.
I've gone away for 10-14 days, and the fish haven't been fed at all during that time. They should be fine.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Stumpjumper said:
LOL they probably do...

Off topic but more importantly, you're going on vacation and leaving your wife at home?!!?
:eek: :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts