Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Like to feed my Cichlids a verity of food. I am currently feeding them a cocktail of HBH brand "Super Soft Spirulina", HBH brand "Super Soft with krill" and HBH brand "Super Veggie Blend 8 flakes" daily, as well as spirulina enriched brine shrimp 1-2 times a week. I have read that cichlids in general will eat mosquito larvae in their natural environment. I have for the most part, Labeotropheus Fuelleborni & Aulonocara Baenschi. Here is my question (might be a dumb one) I found a new product today on the shelves today "Seachem Nutri Diet Fly Larvae" which has 16.7% protein. I know this is not mosquito larvae, But can I feed this to my fish once a week? Is this particular food geared more towards a carnivore? The larvae is about an inch long and I would be chopping each one into 3 pieces. Thank you for reading the excessively long question.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You are aware that the fuelleborni is a herbivore, right?

I think I would steer clear of the fly larvae.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ya i would stay away from fly larvae. Wild cichlids only get that treat once per yr!!! I am a big fan of the hbh 8 veggie blend as it covers all your plant matter needs with green veggies, spirulina, and kelp just of the top of my head.. I feed 8 veggie blend with tetra color bits 2x daily and a snack of hbh cichlid frenzy for protein 1x daily.. This combo seems to produce great colors in peacocks even to the point of being accused of hormoned fish!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cichlidaholic said:
You are aware that the fuelleborni is a herbivore, right?

I think I would steer clear of the fly larvae.
Well aware. I feed them 3 different types of food with spirulina.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts