Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added 3 bristlenose plecos(about 1.5inch) to a 75g growout mbuna tank(about 75 fish of 1inch).

I am not sure whether the plecos are getting any food.I am dropping 4-5 algae tablets daily at night.But I am not sure whether the plecos are eating or mbuna are eating the algae tablets.

Will the plecos be fine or do I need to put the plecos in a seperate tank untill they grow a bit.
(I dont want to add a new tank.)

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Mine come out at feeding time and eat the pellet food that I give to the fish. Is there algae for them to feed on? It is possible for them to struggle when with cichlids if they're being so intimidated by them that they won't come out to feed. I'd say your best bet is to make sure there's enough light to grow algae. Then watch to see if they come out after lights out to feed on it. If they're chased off even after lights out and are never allowed out to feed in peace, then I'd say it's a concern. I had a tank like that where they struggled to survive. But, I have them in many of my tanks now and for the most part, they do fine. No way to say if it's always going to work or not. Sort of a case by case. Provide all the feeding opportunities that you can without overfeeding and watch and see. You could even grind up some food into a powder. They'll hoover that up, and it's not something that's real attractive to the fish. Or at least something that's easy for them to eat all of quickly.

Just some thoughts and hope it helps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't forget driftwood! even if you are running a tank without driftwood, make sure to drop a small piece in ( hide it if you really don't like the look) they need it as a roughage. when i drop food in for them i do it as i turn the lights off. my fish are not as concerned about it and the bristlenose get a chance to eat!
:thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't forget they also like a slice of cucumber or courgette now and again, you can weight it down with a 'Screwcumber' purchased on EBay.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
ziggee25 said:
Don't forget they also like a slice of cucumber or courgette now and again, you can weight it down with a 'Screwcumber' purchased on EBay.
The problem with that is so do many cichlids. :)

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
All the fish will eat the same food and the BN should be fine. Just keep an eye on their bellies so they stay plumpish. Easy with BN since they like the glass.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am worried because I saw the plecos only once in 3 weeks that too while changing the water(Removed rocks)

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
That's what happens with catfish...how did their bellies look?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts