Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
The Red Tops in my sig are about 1.5-2" and the Crimson Tide are about 1-1.5"...how often and how big do my water changes need to be? I was thinking 50% a week, but I have no experience in this area. I don't want them to get stunted.

Also, I ground up some pellets for the little ones, how often should I be feeding them daily?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Go check in the Malawi species forum, there's a discussion with shiny graphs to help with water changes. Seems the main advice is to monitor your water weekly, and keep a chart on which you record nitrate readings and water change percentages. Soon enough that will show you what's going on in terms of nitrates.

Just in case, as a general guideline, keep nitrates below 20 ppm.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nina_b!
I will certainly go check that out.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Or...in case you are asking how to change water if your goal is to grow fry out quickly, some people do daily water changes. The more water changes, the quicker the growth.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Growth (in my experience) is most influenced by these:
(in priority order)

Oxygen (need high O2)
Pollutants (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, nitrate, other)
Stress (low stress, no crowding, no nipping, optimal pH, GH and KH, etc.)
food (quality and quantity)
genetics (need good genes for the above to really make them shine!)

Keep the nitrates at or under 10ppm, keep the O2 levels high and have a nice large tank and the growth in Malawi cichlids is explosive!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks DJ and Number6!

Just checked the Nitrates, coming in at about 12ppm. Time to do a W/C :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
12 aint bad at all. Even 40 isn't bad short term. 20 is preferable of course.

Me, I do changes at 20 (no earlier, not really any use to keeping it below 10); 30 if I feel particularly lazy/busy.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Glaneon said:
12 aint bad at all. Even 40 isn't bad short term. 20 is preferable of course.
when growing out very young fry, I have found it makes a noticeable difference to keep the nitrates around 10ppm as opposed to 20 or more.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think that comes more from the frequency of water changes to get rid of the phermones, yes?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Glaneon said:
I think that comes more from the frequency of water changes to get rid of the phermones, yes?
There are no such things as growth suppressing pheromones given off by fish. Chemical warfare is a widely studied topic and if there was such a thing, it'd be well published.

What I think you've heard of a growth inhibiting hormones, and those are internal to a fish, produced by themselves during stressful times.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Then I got suckered. :oops:

Thanks for clearing that up :thumb:

·
Registered
117 Posts
yeah as many water changes as you can manage and feeds to match will maximize their growth, the discus breeders are the people to ask, its so easy to stunt a discus's growth. they normally do 50% a day in bare bottom tanks with up to 5 feeds of high protein food a day.

you probably already know but dont feed your malawis protein rich food though they'll get ill.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
NLS: Cichlid is like 39% protein
Most fish food is 44% protein
NLS Grow: is like 45% protein (I can confirm later when I get home)

I'd be surprised if there's a significant difference in foods above really - but I would say stay away from protein rich foods like worms.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, right now I'm feeding Hikari Cichlid Excel which is "min. 35%" protein. My NLS comes tomorrow so I'll be feeding that from then.
How often and how much (lets say in thumb-index finger pinches) should I be feeding? Maybe I should be feeding the whole pellets twice a day and the ground up stuff thrice?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Whatever they can eat in about 20-30 seconds.

I have almost 40 mbuna in my tank so it's a crazy frenzy when it's feeding time.

I have a little snow white soc that doesn't swim to the top with the rest & only gets like 1 pellet at feeding time so sometimes I take a larger pinch and throw it down into the water to get it to sink faster and get more to the bottom. About a minute later I see the yellow labs (in particular) nose down in the substrate going for the food pellets.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glaneon :thumb: Any suggestions on frequency?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I feed youngin's 3 times a day.

sub-adults & adults twice a day

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:thumb: That is just what I was thinking, thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts