Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently got a 55gal tank and stand off craigslist and I noticed the stand was really unstable so I decided to try my hand at building a stand. I looked around a little and came up with a basic idea and did my best to make it well. Now that I've been looking around more I think I laughably overbuilt it but I've also read some threads where people used a wrong technique that could actually harm their tank as the wood shrinks. I recently installed wood floors where the tank will sit so I'm really paranoid about my tank collapsing so if I could get some feedback before I wrap it in plywood I would really appreciate it!

http://img834.imageshack.us/i/standxu.jpg/

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
When you plan to make a stand to support a tank, it means an aquarium!
Armored military vehicles can also be called a tank, I know, so just wanted to clarify that for you. :wink:
:lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
That looks like it needs a few braces. I dont see anything to keep it from racking side to side. Maybe add another 2x4 under each corner of the front and back horizontal pieces. Are you going to wrap that with plywood?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm going to wrap it and I'm also going to add a shelf underneath for a 10 gallon fry tank so I'm thinkin that should be enough

·
Registered
75 Posts
That stand is going to be fine if you wrap it with plywood. You definitely overbuilt it in a few areas though. lol. Good luck. Post a pic when its done.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Your stand is a very workable item and would not bother me a bit to use it as is without plywood. It can't rack front/back or left/right without pulling the nails holding your 2X4 and 2X6 together. There are some things I would point out that might be done different if you do another stand. Hope this sounds like helpful not just nagging.

There is a theory on building that one should not relie on the fasteners but let the weight be suported by the wood. Your front and back top rails are holding the weight on the fasteners alone. Not a problem as the ends are supported and will do the job. Some lumber and some weight might have been saved by using two 2X4 fastened together at a 90 and placed directly under the top framework. When the plywood was added the corner and the top would be held from sliding off by the plywood. The same could be done by notching the 2X6 and moving them out so the notch held the top rail. This would place the weight of the top and tank directly on the top of the corner posts. The wood will not compress when nails, in theory, might pull or break. Not that your stand is not good, just theory to keep in mind. Once you start DIY, it gets to be a habit!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks PfunMo, I definitely understand what your saying when I look at my stand. Kinda makes me mad that I overbuild the heck out of it but still left some of the most important parts somewhat under-supported. This is my first attempt at building any type of furniture so it's safe to say I have almost 0 experience so your input is appreciated. I'm worried about those 2x4 rails that you pointed out, do you think they will be okay?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
treym563
it'll be fine. Pfunmo's point is very valid, but as he says, you've got the support right at the ends which will be fine for a 55g. On your next stand, trying to follow Pfunmo's advice will allow you to cut down on the volume of wood and actually increase the overall vertical support. :thumb:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the peace of mind Number6, next stand I build I will definitely be applying a lot of the information I've gotten from you guys.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If your going to wrap it in plywood its all good. Just use plenty of screws or nails and construction adhesive. If your not wraping it it needs two diagonal braces top right to bottom left on front, and top left to bottom right on back. it will support a car if you want it to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts