Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went and bought 180 pounds of various rocks today, in an attempt to replicate Lake Tanganyika as closely as possible and give two rock piles to possibly have two breeding pairs in my 125 gallon tank (I know this may be a stretch, but I figured it would be worth a try).

What do folks think? I tried to follow what I found on the internet (videos and text) to the best of my ability. Did I over do it? Or should I take some of the rocks out? BTW, I read you should try to stack them close to the top, if possible.

Here's some of the best videos I found ...

Thanks for any input !!! :fish:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
What do folks think? I tried to follow what I found on the internet (videos and text) to the best of my ability. Did I over do it? Or should I take some of the rocks out? BTW, I read you should try to stack them close to the top, if possible.
To re-create lake tanganyika, you have to take out all but the rocks, including plants, and spread the rocks out along the back wall. Might even need more. If you don't have sand dwellers, then you could spread the rocks out over the entire tank bottom, maybe two layers high. You don't need to go to the top of the tank.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. It looks like I definitely have to change things, I just have to figure out what works best. I really want to keep my life plants (even thought they're not genuine Tanganyika), so I'll have to work around those, but moving the rocks around somehow seems like the solution.

Thanks again !!! :)

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Today I learned that The Crusty Crab is in Lake Tanganyika, not, as was previously thought, in the ocean. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
To me the rocks are a little too high to have a "safe" feel but then you know more about how you stacked them. I'm with you on trying for the natural look but if it means I can't do what I want, I bend the natural to fit. :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback !!! I ended up taking out about 1/2 of the rocks to balance the rock piles and to make my wife happy, which is VERY important !!! I like it a lot better and I was worried (as was mentioned) about them falling and breaking the glass or something, since some of them were about 25 pounds.

Anyways, here's how it turned out ... Sponge Bob and all (which is for my Daughter) ... now I need to wait for my Neolamprologus Brichardi to grow up and start spawning (hopefully). I'm really hoping I end up with two breeding pairs in the same tank, since 125 gallon is relatively big and I have the open space in the middle. Time will tell.

Also, BTW, if anyone's interested here all the pictures of my tank in all the various stages ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Aquariums/Bikini-Bottom/14928254_RoouE#1114480989_tpCny

All the best !!! :) :fish:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts