Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting a group of wc cyath foai and was wondering what you guys feed them. What do you recomend,? I was thinking nls and spirulina flake for most of the time and a supplement of cyclops, krill and plankton. Im putting 2 males 4 females in a 6 foot 135. I've got a medium pile of rock at one end of the tank. In the middle I've got a small rock to and I've got another at the opposite end. I would say 65 percent of the bottom is open sand. Any help is greatly appropriated

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
NLS alone, feed them well without overfeeding. You don't need to feed all the other stuff. Most of that stuff is probably already in NLS anyway. Mine have thrived on it alone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Forgive me - perhaps im being slow but what the smeg is NLS - people say this all the time and *** no idea what you mean?? :lol:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I would get rid of the small rockpiles at the ends of the tank and just have one large seperating pile in the middle. The males will each use half the tank building a nest. Plus one on the NLS, with mysis occasionaly, to bring the females into condition for spawning. Which variant are you getting?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I feed my wild caught furcifer/foai Dainichi pellets exclusively with great results.NLS is almost as good too.I agree with noddy to having a big rock or pile in the middle of the tank.What kind of foai are you getting?

·
Registered
790 Posts
dmiller328 said:
I feed my wild caught furcifer/foai Dainichi pellets exclusively with great results.NLS is almost as good too.I agree with noddy to having a big rock or pile in the middle of the tank.What kind of foai are you getting?
NLS :D :D

Dainichi is good almost as good :lol:

Both are great foods, try out both see which you like more. I'm prefer NLS so that's what I recommend.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Some of these species like to build their bowers up against a rock, so having rock piles at the ends can actually be beneficial. I have three rock piles and each male has built a pit against the end pile and uses half the tank.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sibwesa variety are stunners!!

I figured someone would chime in when I said NLS is almost as good as Dainichi.For me the Dainichi is best for my adults b/c it is packed with more protein,vitamins,and color enhancers so I can feed them less which equals Less Waste.It is more expensive than NLS but I feed less of it so it really isn't.With that said both are great foods and NLS theraA formula is the best food for fish just received to prevent parasites. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
prov356 said:
Some of these species like to build their bowers up against a rock, so having rock piles at the ends can actually be beneficial. I have three rock piles and each male has built a pit against the end pile and uses half the tank.
This is true. The only reason for me suggesting just the one rock pile is that I have lost a few adults to eye damage. But you can see in this vid.. that I don't necessarily practice what I preach :thumb:

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q94/ ... V04614.flv

·
Registered
338 Posts
Awesome video of your furcifer/foai Noddy! Kooks like Kigomas which I have too.What kind of male/female ratio do you have?It is also good to see yours get along with C.microlepidotus b/c I am getting a group of them of the Kigoma variety.I had a group of 16 Jumbo Kitumba cyprichromis 3-4inches in with them that were too aggressive and kept the furcifers from coloring up and breeding.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yes sir, Kigoma's with cyp micro Kiriza and paracyps. I'm not sure of the ratio right now as there are 12 young uns growing out and a few are going to be males. The originals are down to two male / two female and at least four more young female, possibly eight. I also had them in with jumbos (moliros) it didn't work out so well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im also getting in some wc cyp kerenge island. I was thinking of trying to breed them im the same tank. Im not sureif their breeding habits would interfere and want to be set up for mass production. Im thinking they could do ok together. What do you guys think?
another thing is what's ur opinion on cyaths and tricoti together in a 6 foot tank. Im leaning toward doing some together in my 180 but im kinda thinking I might need a 8 footer to ensure they get along

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I personally think a six foot tank is to small for Tricoti. I had some, and sold them once I realized that my 210g was too small. I also think that they need a dimly lit, large tank with either no tankmates, or possibly paracyps. Not sure about Kerenge cyps with Furcifers, are they Jumbos?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't believe they are a jumbo variety. They are being sold to me as cyprichromis lept. Kerenge island blue zebra. The tricoti I want to do in my 300 gallon and was thinking another low light species like a foi might be sutible along with some paracyps but im skeptical. It just seem like there must be a way to utilize all that space.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
kiaratrak said:
ahud said:
Thank you!
:D

It looks good - im going to do some searching and see if you can obtain this brand in the UK :thumb:
TA Aquaculture stock it. http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/ and offer home delivery.
Dunno mate have tried it and not found it any better than many of the others on offer there.

Good stuff do not get me wrong just not any better than any of the other quality makes for cichlids as far as I can see. Check out the links to the adds though they are pretty 8) .

All the best James

1 - 18 of 18 Posts