Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, post a picture or description of your favorite peacock. I'm looking to get a peacock species, but not entirely convinced of which one to get. Thanks everybody

·
Registered
796 Posts
Mine are ;

Lwanda, Ngara , albino eureka red (albino looks way better then the normal color), blue neon, Aulonocara stuartgranti (Hai Reef) and Chitande type north.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The question you're asking really depends on what tank you're putting the peacock into. For example, if you have, let's say, a mild mbuna tank with labs, etc., and want a splash of color,then you'd want a peacock that could hold its own -- Eureka Red or Lwanda generally would work well. If you're looking for a peacock mild enough that you could have several males in a species only colony, then, hands down, go for the blue orchid or the sulfurhead (maylandi).

I have a species only blue orchid tank with three fully colored and mature males and five females in a 45 gallon! This was based on the recommendation of a respected online breeder and it has been a fabulous tank. Zero violence. Zero illness. Several females have held but the babies don't last (the tank also has six lucippinis.)

So my favorite at the moment is the blue orchid, although I'm a total sucker for a nice ruby red!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Albino eureka

·
Registered
49 Posts
If your doing male and some females I would get rubescens because the females are more colorful than other peacock females.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My faves are Albino Eureka red, Ethelwannee, Bio 500 and Ngara. Followed closely by the reds, yellows, Blue orchids...ok they are all nice. But if I had to pick it would be the first two.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
I'm liking the turkis right now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My favorite changes from time to time. Right now the one I like the most and I have the most people comment on in my tank is my Aulonocara stuartgranti (Cobue)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I see a lot of recommendations but no pictures. Based on personality and coloring my Ngara flametail is definitely my favorite.

G

·
man theres so many awesome peacocks why not just do an all male tank and get many different kinds... thats what i did... too many peacocks too little space lol.. i think right now my favorite is my walteri.. but i also just got a really sick lookin red top Lwanda... but im sure the 2 blue orchid juvies and the ngara flametail juvies i have will climb quickly to the top of my list when they get big and get color

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm debating whether or not to add a few male peacocks to my tank with a few breeding groups of labs n haps or just another breeding group of peacocks.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Decisions. decisions.
Hmm...maybe that's why I have an all male show tank?! :p :D

I like them all- ask all the breeders, LMAO! :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts