Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious to what are your favorite cichlid pellet brands and why ... I use a blend of Spectra life and Tetra Color .... both small sinking pellets ... all the fish go nuts over it .

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula for the high quality ingredients and low protein at 34%.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I used to deal with bloat using other foods. When I switched to NLS, I rarely deal with bloat.

·
Registered
131 Posts
+1 for NLS in any application (Mbuna + Aulonocara). I use NLS Thera once or twice a week to get some garlic in their digestive tracks.

I would recommend Dainichi Color Supreme 3mm pellets for large haps (Buccochromis, Tyrranochromis, Fossochromis, etc.) Dainichi is much better for bigger fish. Better colors and significantly faster growth rates.

For growouts, I use Dainichi CS 1mm pellets. In addition to frequent WC's, they definitely grow much faster than an all NLS diet. I'm going to try out HBH African Attack soon to see if the cost-savings is worth it.

Like phamf, I rarely deal with bloat. Feel free to starve them 1 or 2 days a week to give their digestive tracks time to purge.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I pretty much only feed HBH foods (flakes, freeze dried, pellets).

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I do use the sinking NLS; however, based on my observations it seems to leave an oily film on the top of the water. Besides my African cichlids, it seems like the least favorite option; especially for my catfish, tetras, killifish and barbs. Therefore, I feed this the least.

On the other hand, my catfish, tetras, killifish and barbs all love "Tetra ColorBits Tropical Granules". My Geo also loves it. This works well for my tank with my Geo, catfish and tetras because it sinks and is small in size. Therefore, all the fish get food and the Geo cleans up the leftovers that fall to the ground.

For my bigger CA/SA cichlids I feed them Hikari Cichlid Gold and HBH Algae Grazers to keep a varied diet between protein and greens.

HBH Algae Grazers seems to be a favorite of all my fish (especially my H. carpintis) and is definitely the best algae wafer I have used.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Matt I feel the same way about the HBH grazers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.