Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored doing some browsing around on the web and came across this site: FauxRock.com

They make precast panels of different styles of rocks that come in interlocking sheets and thought that it would be an easy and nice looking background. So I emailed them asking about it being aquarium safe and they wrote back with this.

Ben –
Our panels are produced from a concrete/synthetic fiber formulation.
They have been used in water features that feature fish and also in tropical water tanks. There has been no problem reported at all. It appears to be perfectly safe
for fish.
The stain does not appear to cause any problems either.

I hope that I have been helpful.
Regards –
Bobbi Jenkins

They have some really nice looking ones that I would like to check more into with a price under $10 a sq foot. Anybody ever hear of these before? Think it would be ok to use in a tank? Opinions would be great.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Looks like it has possiblities, but I think I'd try it in a small tank with inexpensive fish first. Their answer doesn't sound convincing enough for me. But, if it works, and isn't too expensive, might be a really nice find.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Step into the Home Depot/Lowe's , etc. and take a look at it to get a better idea of what they have. Several companies make stuff of different patterns. I do not find manmade looks close enough to natural but that is a personal choice thing. For safety, I would guess that most of it will be safe to use. My theory is that it will be a masonry product due to the cost of raw materials. Masonry is much cheaper than materials like resin, etc. Testing is a good idea before adding fish, though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
"It appears to be perfectly safe
for fish.
The stain does not appear to cause any problems either. "

The way they word this would make me wary. Test it in a small tank first.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I was thinking although they do have several photos posted of it being used in Koi ponds I think. I do wanna make my own for styro but just dont have the time and money right now to get all the different materials needed. Its one of those I dont NEED it but really WANT it type of things. That store bought backround I have now just annoys me when I look at it after seeing all your guy's "fancy" ones. Even our 18 month lil girl old sees the pics of all your tanks and is like "Oooh... I like it" :lol:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
ZeNozzle said:
"It appears to be perfectly safe
for fish.
The stain does not appear to cause any problems either. "

The way they word this would make me wary. Test it in a small tank first.
hehe...

I'm just chuckling because, we will use something like GE Silicone, etc, when the company specifically says that it should not be used for aquariums because others in the hobby state that "it appears to be perfectly safe", but when a company representative actually states that something appears to be perfectly safe for fish without worrying about any legal liability concerns if its not, everyone assumes it must be poison :lol:

I checked the site and the fractured rock panels look promising, but they are very large, like 60" x 30" depending on which modular panel you look at. The river rock panel could work to, resembles some DIY backgrounds I've seen. Again, for this one, site says one panel is 4'x8' - enough for a couple large backgrounds or a bunch of smaller ones.

I also read through the FAQ, where it also says its safe for use with ponds with fish, that a sealer is used and they state that the sealer must be reapplied every 5 years. This would be a huge inconvenience for an aquarium application if the tank needs to be broken down completely even every 5 years to reseal the background.

fractured rock panel

River rock panel

FAQ

some relevant FAQ's said:
How long do the synthetic rocks last and have they been field-tested?

They are designed to last a lifetime. We have spent over 30 years field-testing and researching artificial rock to ensure it is the highest quality when it comes to structural integrity, textured finishes, and stained finishes.

How do your rocks hold up in freeze/thaw or high temperature conditions?

Our many different formulations of high comprehensive strength composite materials produce a more durable rock product than conventional synthetic rock materials or real rock. This means better resistance to cracking or damage due to freezing and thawing, thermal shock, or expansion and contraction. The composite mix creates a high-impact strength rock product.

Thanks to our high performance composite material systems and the thermo plastic clear coat, the rocks maintain their color, are crack and stain resistant, and resist algae growth. They resist fading, chalking, and chlorine, and chloride attack better than other rock systems - synthetic or real.

What is recommended for cleaning rocks?

We recommend the rocks be washed with water as needed. They also can be scrubbed with a nylon brush and water.

If there is any calcium or alkaline deposit, use a mild diluted acid solution.

First, wet the rock with water then spray on the mild diluted acid solution. Let the solution soak in for five minutes. Put on rubber gloves and safety glasses and scrub the stains with a nylon brush. Rinse rock thoroughly when finished.

For oil-based stains, use the same procedure but use a mild detergent solution instead of an acid solution.

What about unwanted moss or algae growth?

Simply wash and scrub it off the rocks. Moss and algae cannot stain or establish a strong foothold on our rock because it is not porous like other synthetic rock systems or real rock. Our non-porous thermo plastic sealer also repels moss and algae.

Can you culture or simulate moss or algae on the rocks we order?

Yes, we can simulate any type of sedimentary depositing including moss and algae. It is a popular technique requested by many customers.

Can I put fish, snails or water plants in the ponds?

Yes, but only under certain conditions. As with any aquatic setting, there are up front and ongoing treatments or conditions required to create and maintain biological harmony.

What is done to seal these rocks and how long does it last?

When the rock is completely installed, a thermo plastic sealer is applied. This sealer needs to be reapplied every five years. Contact your local dealer for more information and procedures to reseal the rocks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought a sample rock from the distributor in Baton Rouge,La. My friend,who lives there brought it to me. It was thick and heavy. But I think it would work for a tank back ground. I was going to put it in another friends pond so it could leach and become tank safe. Then I just forgot about it and there it sits 3 yr's later. Hopefully you can find a distributor close so you can drive there and look at the panels yourself. Pick out a flat one. It's hard to tell from there website. good Luck.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't like the word "appear" in their response. They didn't answer the question.
But, give it a shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts