Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the cichlid fish tank bug. I know this isn’t Cichlids Anonymous but I figured I'd state the facts. In exchange for all my cichlid tanks the girlfriend wants a goldfish tank with some fancy (obnoxious) looking goldfish.

I did some basic googling but I figure someone with experience here could help me too.

I guess the main question is what are the differences requirement-wise versus cichlids?

I've read a heater is nice but not necessary. Fancy goldfish like to be around 72F. Warmer is OK but colder is worse?

A big question I have is about filtration. My understanding is with goldfish you don’t need to cycle the tank? Is this because their waste is something different than ammonia? Or is it the temperature is too low for the bacteria colonies to grow? My understanding is you can just change out/clean filter media and water changes and be good to go. If this isn’t true let me know.

Any other 'gotchas' when it comes to keeping goldfish? probably looking at 2-3 ryukin or telescope goldfish in a 30 gallon. Any other tank mate suggestions?

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
cdavitt said:
A big question I have is about filtration. My understanding is with goldfish you don’t need to cycle the tank? Is this because their waste is something different than ammonia?
Never heard this and don't see how it could be true. My reading on goldfish is 30 to 60 gallons per fish.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I guess I misunderstood some of the reading I did. I guess I will get to cycling ASAP! lol

with the lack of replies I think I need to find a goldfish forum =)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sounds like someone needs to put his foot down :p

Has she not seen orange blossom cichlids? Those look similar and require the same care you're used to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The tank definitely needs to be cycled. Tank size varies by variety of goldfish. For example, a comet needs more horizontal swimming room than an oranda or a ranchu. They aren't quite as exciting as cichlids but they're beautiful.

I think Koko's Goldfish Forum is a good place to do your research.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Whatever you decide Don't put them with cichlids. They will become cichlid snacks sooner or later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts