Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I had to pull a 4" German red peacock out of my newly setup 125 tank because he was getting picked on alot and I noticed his eye had a line of white through it along with some nipped fins. I put him in a 20 gal qt tank and started treating with melafix. For the first 5 days the eye got worse, it puffed up and became almost all white. Then it started to get better, the puffiness went down some and some of the white started to go away. I continued to treat with melafix . Then again after 2 days the eye got worse again because all white. Treated with melafix for another 5 days with no change. Stopped all treatments for 5 days to give him a break then started Treating with API fin and body cure thinking it might be eye cloud or some other fungus instead of just a injury. That was 10 days ago. The eye isn't that swollen now. It's white but the very middle isn't. Almost looks like a bullseye. I can see the eye still move but I'm pretty sure he can see out of it. My main concern is if it's a illness that can be transferred to other fish or if it's just a injury that might never get better. I want to move him to my 75 gal grow out tank but not if it's going to put the other fish at risk . He still eats fine and acts fine. Not sure what to do next. Hoping for some advice. Trying to get pics but he's very shy about showing the eye.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Whether it was an illness or injury, I would say he is as recovered as he is going to get and no longer contagious.

I would add him back to the tank, but he may still be picked on and you may need to take him out again.

Others have had luck with seeing impaired fish in the general population...I have not.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He came out of the 125b with alot of larger 6"+ fish. I figured I would try him in my 75 gal grow out . Most fish in there are 3"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.