Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New here and read up a little but haven't found what seems to be the problem for me. My fish s[/list]eems to have like a cyst on his eye lid. The eye looks normal, not cloudy or anything. He just has what looks like a scale or like a hang nail hanging out.

Tank has been running for years, I acquired it about a year ago. This fish is not top fish but second and seems to chase and fight kinda a lot. Still eating normally and chasing others. I usually do a water change every other week of around 50% I'd guess. (tank is about 30 gallons, I take out about 10 cleaning the gravel, and about 5 lost to evaporation). I just added a few new fish and don't see anything else on any other fish. Could be coincidence or that I just noticed it now and it's possibly been that way for a little bit. (I think I would of noticed though). And I didn't dump the new fish water into my tank, I netted them in.

I took a cell phone pic but it's kinda hard to see, and I'm not sure how to upload it as I'm typing this on my phone.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Image Hosting:

(From a cell phone- as far as I know, you will need to email yourself the picture from the phone, and then follow the instructions below from a computer. If you have a smart phone, you can directly upload to flickr or photobucket, and then get the link)

1. Sign up for a free account with a one of these web sites:
www.flickr.com
www.photobucket.com

2. Upload the pictures from your PC/smart phone to that online site. Pictures will be stored on their server and then accessible anywhere on the internet.

3. After the upload is complete, view the photo you wish to post here.
In flicker, there's a drop down arrow at the top of the photo that lets you "Grab the Link"
In photobucket, hover over the photo, and then select the "IMG Code"
In either case, copy the link and paste it here.

4. Paste the link in your new post here on C-F, and if it doesn't have it, add tags like this:

[img].....paste%20the%20URL%20address%20here.....

5. THEN, before you SUBMIT your post, be sure to PREVIEW it first. You should see the image. If not, double check your code.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
So, a picture will help, but there's a few things we can talk about in the mean time. Chances are your fish had a small injury that could be infected.

The best thing you can do for him is to provide clean water. That's the next thing- you cannot not count evaporation as part of your water change. In fact, evaporation has the exact opposite effect- when water vapor leaves, all the crud and gunk becomes more concentrated in your tank. Depending on how many fish you have and how much you feed them, it's not likely that a 10 gallon water change every other week is going to keep up with how much waste they're producing.

The way to tell if you are changing enough water is to test for nitrate (NO3). It's a good idea to have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, but if you don't have one your local fish store will test your water for you. To give you an idea, I have to change nearly 50% of the water every week in my tanks to keep my nitrates stable.

Back to the fish- new fish often carry new diseases, so watch carefully for signs of ich, heavy breathing, flashing, etc. Keep an eye on the injured fish- watch for redness, or fluffy growth on the wound. I don't recommend anything but a 20 gallon water change (don't forget dechlorinator) right now, but you may need to medicate if you see signs of infection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

sweet it worked after some trying. It's that tiny white spot almost hidden by his white stripe.

And on an odd side note, I just saw two new fish in my tank! Tiny little guys about a quarter inch big. And I thought all my fish were males. Unfortunately I don't have a second tank to seperate them and find out whose they possibly are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

The thing appears to be going away on it's own. And now a second fish (one of the newer ones) has an almost identical looking cyst thing.

Could it be like a scratch? Or a slight burn from the heater?

·
Registered
81 Posts
that fish is sooooooooo aggressive specially when breeding!!! Melanochromis auratus! :D loveit.

Same problem here but its with my oscar. but it was gone when I changed the water and put some antihelminthic meds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts