Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and to African cichlids. I kept reef systems for many years.

My plan is to set up a 300L tank for mainly Malawis, and plan to have it crowded.

I intend to build two 15L canister filters (beer fermenters) and will use inline external pumps for ciculation (submerged pumps are fine, but make it a bit harder to build into the canister, take up a lot of room otherwise useful for media, plus the need to install wiring through the canister wall). The external type is also easily accessible if need arises.

I'm looking for advice on which pumps to use. There seem to be a few suitable ones on the market, but as I haven't any experience with them it's hard to choose, especially in regard to quality and reliability. My preferences would be:

Good reputation and reliability
Price up to about $80
Low wattage as possible
Ability to pump at least 1,000L per hour to a 1.2-metre head.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey - welcome to the forum and to Africans.

Pump wise - so many options...but you can never go wrong with EHEIM. You can get a 1250 for $90 US - which would be sufficient.

Or you could go with something like the Pan world Pump and run both of your canisters off one pump. That would be fun - but a problem when it goes down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts