Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

*** been mulling over the filtration on this tank for a while. I want to get rid of the internal filter and improve water quality generally. The tank only has a pair of brevis and a couple cauds in it. *** just been looking at the Eheim 2213 plus and the tetratec EX600. *** read various reviews and both have their strengths.

It then occurred to me that i have an interpet canister filter in the loft that used to run on my old 400l Malawi tank. I haven't yet retrieved it to check the flow rate but imagine it to be much higher than those above.

I guess what i want to know is should i buy one of the eheim or tetratec filters - or should i try running this interpet one? Could it be too powerful - it doesnt have spray bar return from memory - i worry about slurping fry out of the tank!

Knowing me at some point ill start pursuing a bigger tank so im keen not to waste money on a filter that could become redundant with an upgrade ergo the reuse of the interpet seems wise?

Thoughts? Many Thanks x

·
Registered
117 Posts
i would try the interpet one first before buying anything new to see how the flow is, if its to much and everybody is being blown about then swap it but if its ok then just put a grill or coarse sponge over the intake when there are fry in the tank.

i used to have an EX600 on my 180l before and i cant really recommend them for that size of tank but would suit a 76l just about right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the reply - today i did just that. In its day the interpet one should have had a 900l p/hr flow but it doesnt seem so now - so *** whacked that on and all is fine and dandy at the moment - got a new light extra rock and a couple hardy plants and its now looking pretty amazing.... im feeling positive!

Cheers kiara

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Glad to hear that you seem to have sorted out the filter issue. One more word of caution, my experience with Brevis is that they are not too tolerant of other shellies in the same tank once they start breeding. I'd prepare myself to pull out the Caudos at short notice if need be. Best of luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi thanks - everything is fine at the moment. *** noticed the brevis are holding their own with the cauds - its been set up for a number of months now and im not concerned with the behaviour so far. Someone has suggested putting some dither danios in - which im seriously considering at the moment

Cheers K :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.