Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an Exasperatus and I really like the colour of it, however, that's the same reason i got my Auratus, and that didn't turn out so well.
I thought maybe since they were both melanochromis the exasperatus would also turn ugly but I couldn't get any information online so if anyone has kept an exasperatus before, please tell me if it will change colour or not.
Thanks!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Melanochromis exasperatus is a synonym for Labidochromis joanjohnsonae. The females have a mostly orange pattern, but males have a similar pattern in blue. So if you got a male, the color will change.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh dang I know I got a male because mine is an all male tank and I asked for one. what do you mean by similar but blue?
Will it still have the cool coral pattern?
Would you mind posting some pics?
Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks I kind of like the male but I would still prefer it to stay the colour it is.
If it's not dominant could it stay as the juvenile colour?

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
Males kinda look like somewhat like shiny Socolofi. Not spectacular, but not ugly. Agree that the juvenile color is more interesting, I guess they have always had confusion with the name because they look similar to Labidochromis, but are dimorphic color and Labidochromis does not dramatic dimorphism.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Iggy Newcastle said:
How large is the fish? If it has juvenile/female colors it may be too small to sex properly.
Plus one. When a vendor tells you he can sex a fish at 1.5", be skeptical.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts