Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've picked up a second hand tank, 8ft long 135gal that I'm going to set up for haps and peacocks. The guy I bought it from has had a red ear slider turtle in the tank since he got it back in May, so about 5 months. I've turfed the media in the canister filter and replaced it with new, and it was a bare bottom tank for his turtle so I'll be using brand new pool filter sand for substrate. I'm just wondering about the glass tank and silicone itself - I've always heard how dirty turtles are. Do you think just a regular water and elbow-grease cleaning will suffice, or should I bleach it (using a 10% bleach solution)?

·
Super Moderator
40,875 Posts
I have also heard that a reptile habitat is not good for fish...no way to get the toxins out of the silicone. FWIW, no idea if it is a myth, I have never tried it.

Is the aquarium originally manufactured for fish? Also hear that reptile habitat glass is thinner because it does not normally have to hold water to the brim.

·
Registered
660 Posts
DJRansome said:
Is the aquarium originally manufactured for fish? Also hear that reptile habitat glass is thinner because it does not normally have to hold water to the brim.
+1. I'd make sure of this. Then I'd fill the tank and run the filter(s) with bleach in the water for a day, empty and make sure it completely dries out. Then it's ready for fish.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a fish tank he put a turtle in. Turns out I can trace the tank back three or four previous owners - small community and a odd size lol. Its definitely not thin glass, its at least an inch thick and weighs a bloody ton.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ken31cay said:
DJRansome said:
+1. I'd make sure of this. Then I'd fill the tank and run the filter(s) with bleach in the water for a day, empty and make sure it completely dries out. Then it's ready for fish.
Using a 10% bleach solution?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent, That's half as much bleach for me to go buy lol. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts