Cichlid Fish Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,136 Posts
Awesome! And, not too surprised about Uaru sales. Your 'namesake' is a large, New World Cichlid that has some pretty specific requirements in both water chemistry and most esp. tank size (The 55 gallon tank just ain't gonna go far with a trio of those beauties, yo').
And, what the heck is that contraption (some kind of acrylic sump thing?), you have set up in front on you on the sale table?

Reactions: karpomatic1

·
Registered
677 Posts
Glad it worked out well. And winning a new tank setup to boot. You will find a much greater market for your Tapajos than Uaru for previously stated reasons. Another really good seller for you would be Geophagus sveni. The tapajos per my resident breeder tend to have colors fade as they get older whereas the sveni just get better looking.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Awesome! And, not too surprised about Uaru sales. Your 'namesake' is a large, New World Cichlid that has some pretty specific requirements in both water chemistry and most esp. tank size (The 55 gallon tank just ain't gonna go far with a trio of those beauties, yo').
And, what the heck is that contraption (some kind of acrylic sump thing?), you have set up in front on you on the sale table?
The LFS that was hosting the event bought all my leftover small Uaru but at wholesale so I only came home with the bigger ones. Yeah, I always tell everyone a 75 is minimum for a pair. Then the whole line of info about them over and over all day long. That contraption was a sump for a salt water setup that I ended up with for free a few years ago. I cleaned it up and it's been on FB marketplace since with no luck. Sold it at the show for $75. It's $250 new.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Glad it worked out well. And winning a new tank setup to boot. You will find a much greater market for your Tapajos than Uaru for previously stated reasons. Another really good seller for you would be Geophagus sveni. The tapajos per my resident breeder tend to have colors fade as they get older whereas the sveni just get better looking.
I'm sure. I'm looking into a few possibilities for other breeding projects. Maybe some Albino Threadfin Acaras. They seem to be super popular right now. I'm planning on a Tapajos breeding group once my fry grow up a bit. Panda Uaru are like finding Waldo so maybe in the future.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
It must be the week for 75 gallon aquariums. I won one at the swap a week ago, I'm buying a used one for cheap after work today, and now my Dad just called and asked if I wanted a complete 75 setup for free. Some guy is moving and is just giving it away. Three 75 gallon aquariums in a week. The orange rack will be full shortly!

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
Here's the 75 I picked up from FB marketplace. The top cross member was broken and the hard water stains were thick. This is what it looks like after an hour of scrubbing with a magic eraser, a razor blade, and barkeeper's friend. I'll do another round of cleaning then I'm going to reseal it. I've also ordered a set of frames from Over The Edge, black of course. It's a project. The other free setup is coming tonight.

Wood Gas Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain

Wood Rectangle Floor Composite material Flooring

·
Super Moderator
6,136 Posts
If that used 75 gallon tank has become too beat up and weird-looking, you could always set it up for use instead as a pretty big sump.

Reactions: karpomatic1

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
If that used 75 gallon tank has become too beat up and weird-looking, you could always set it up for use instead as a pretty big sump.
Possibly. I've already got 2 acrylic sumps that I'm not using. I considered setting one of those up if I get some Panda Uaru. The one is pretty big. I rescued it from a McDonald's that was being demolished.

Rectangle Gas Composite material Tints and shades Snapshot

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Asphalt

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
It's been a busy time lately here at NVT. I picked up a group of 6 Albino Threadfin Heckelii. I know I've got at least one male.
Water Fin Underwater Organism Fish supply

I've also acquired a pair of Apistogramma Agassizii and a pair of Apistogramma Macmasteri. Hopefully I'll be able to breed these soon.
Road surface Asphalt Insect Pest Wood

Organism Water Fin Fish Underwater

Water Vertebrate Fin Fish Tail

Water Liquid Fin Underwater Fluid

Plant Fish Terrestrial plant Water Marine biology

Eye Organism Iris Fin Underwater

I've still got plenty of Uaru and Geophagus Tapajos looking for a good home as well.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Nice to see you branching out into some other species. That should increase your business sales. Where are you getting your shipping boxes from?
Surprisingly, Grainger. Part numbers 12T973 & 12T971. We have an account thru work and have been the cheapest around. They're great boxes and save a lot of time from not cutting insulation to fit a box.

·
Super Moderator
2,402 Posts
Do you have a LFS or other hobbyists connections near you for shipping boxes? You can usually get used boxes cheap at auctions, around me they sell for $10 or less, not sure what the LFS's are doing with their excess boxes but doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Do you have a LFS or other hobbyists connections near you for shipping boxes? You can usually get used boxes cheap at auctions, around me they sell for $10 or less, not sure what the LFS's are doing with their excess boxes but doesn't hurt to ask.
Good question. The LFS I deal with does have some of the foam boxes but they don't have the cardboard boxes to go over them. Due to their location, they get bi-weekly deliveries from the main supplier. He brings the bags in plastic totes and leaves with them.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts