Cichlid Fish Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
Sorry you lost your female Red Headed Tapajos. :(
You may need to try a different strategy in keeping those Earth Eaters in the aquarium.
As follows,
Be careful with that one. And yes, I do like the thought of breeding out the Red Headed Tapajos Earth Eater. But, what gives me pause on this, is that this species doesn't 'Pair Up' or form spawning pair bonds. In the wild, the males typically hold or keep as large a harem of females as their dominance and aggression will permit. This makes for pretty dominant/aggressive males of this species in the aquarium.
Wife beater?
So, I usually recommend keeping these in 1M/4-5F groups. Seems to keep the females somewhat safe that way, when the spawning aggression from the male is spread out over larger numbers like that. In the aquarium, when the female releases the fry it's a bit like an African Mbuna situation. I used to keep my holding females (WC Geophagus crassilabris) in a separate/quarantine tank (55 gallon tank) until they spit the babies out. The babies were safe to raise out by themselves that way. And most importantly I didn't have to compete against predation from the adults in netting up those baby Earth Eaters to raise out. Plus, I suspect the 'Mom Fish' sort of enjoyed the break as well from the rough and tumble of the 180 gallon community tank. That ridiculously aggressive male G.crassilabris sometimes left his females looking like a lawnmower ran over 'em or something.... :oops:
-
So, yeah.....

Reactions: karpomatic1

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Sorry you lost your female Red Headed Tapajos. :(
You may need to try a different strategy in keeping those Earth Eaters in the aquarium.
As follows,

-
So, yeah.....
Yeah, I remember you saying that. The other pair I have bred fine. I'm going to work on getting another adult female. I'll remove her from the tank once the fry are free swimming and return her after I've removed the fry from now on.

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
Looking good!
It's the Uaru King's workshop of, CICHLID MYSTERIES AND SECRETS!! :cool:

Reactions: karpomatic1

·
Registered
542 Posts
Air lines are run, lights are hung, and 192 Uaru fry have been moved from the 125 with the parents to a 40 grow out tank. The middle tank will have my other pair of Geophagus Tapajos.
View attachment 142852
View attachment 142851
View attachment 142850
Well this brings back "memories". You may find it difficult to move that many Uaru fry. "Back in the day" I used to sell to large distributors. They buy in large lots. You are not going to get what you are now asking for these fish but you can move a large amount of product all at once to free up space. Another thing I suggest you do is take a good look at online fish retailers pricing for uaru. There are some very reputable and well known/established sources that are undercutting your pricing & most likely shipping costs.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well this brings back "memories". You may find it difficult to move that many Uaru fry. "Back in the day" I used to sell to large distributors. They buy in large lots. You are not going to get what you are now asking for these fish but you can move a large amount of product all at once to free up space. Another thing I suggest you do is take a good look at online fish retailers pricing for uaru. There are some very reputable and well known/established sources that are undercutting your pricing & most likely shipping costs.
I will be getting my LLC soon which should open some new avenues. The do sell them at wholesale to the one LFS I deal with. It's much less than direct but they are moving.

As far as shipping, I'm offering two options. USPS live fish guaranteed two day is $70 anywhere in the lower 48 states or $20 flat rate and I take no responsibility if anything happens to the fish or the package in transit. So far, no-one has chosen the $70 option. I've shipped a few out and only the package currently in transit has had any issues. It got delayed but should be delivered today, the third day. I hope the fish are okay.

The packages are now lined with the 1/2" Styrofoam insulation sheets as suggested and shown online. It proved to be much sturdier.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts