Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally placed an online order for my fish. They were supposed to arrive yesterday before noon. Well...FedEx had a delay in Memphis due to "wintry weather." Wintry Weather...what wintry weather?? I checked and as of noon yesterday is was sunny, 29 degress and they had only had 1.3" of snow in the past 24 hours! So...here I am worried about my fish...I get a call this morning that they had made it to Grand Rapids and they would bring them to me today. I get them and all of them are dead! Thankfully the person who I bought them from said that they have a 14 day guarantee and will replace them...but I still feel really bad for the 22 fish that had to die and cold, slow death...FedEx sucks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
sorry to hear that. was there a heat pack or two in there?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, there was, but they were dead by the time the got here...my guess is FedEx didn't keep them inside, that it was just too cold for the heat packs to be effective. It was supposed to be an overnight delivery, but the shipment was delayed.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I drove through Memphis not too long ago in the 'snow'. I live in Missouri, now, it's not Alaska here or anything, but man if we stopped everytime there was snow on the ground nothing would get done in January! Anyway, it was ridiculous. People were driving like nuts, schools where closed, and the roads where perfectly clear, maybe an inch on the ground. I guess they just aren't used to it, maybe the FedEX guy didn't wanna get out.

Will FedEX refund your shipping? After all they damaged 100% of your shipment it sounds like.

-John

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
The delay must have been from the air travel. The airport must have been delayed from weather conditions at some point along the line, either at Memphis or where the plane came from. FedEx, or any service, is not going to give special care for fish. Delays do seem like a potential problem during the coldest or hottest parts of the year.

I've bought fish and was told it would be best to pick them up at the airport so they would be in transit only 12 hours instead of overnight. The plane was 1.5 hour late and the counter to pick up the fish was closed, so I had to pick them up at 1100am next morning. So no perfect way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know about Fedex, but the place I purchased from includes shipping cost in the refund price. I however am just having them send a new shipment out to be delivered to me at work. Hopefully no delays this time.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
aquagirl900 said:
I don't know about Fedex, but the place I purchased from includes shipping cost in the refund price. I however am just having them send a new shipment out to be delivered to me at work. Hopefully no delays this time.
Wow, good deal with your supplier... Can you PM me their website?

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Really, if it is the transportation carriers fault, shouldn't most sellers reship replacements at no cost?

G

·
well.. *** ordered fish from that vendor as well and when the fish die within the grace period (14 days) they do not refund shipping.. however this case i suppose is special cuz the gauranteed overnight delivery they use wasnt overnight.. so the shipping people (fedex) probly shipped it out again for free... *** had a number of fish die and they only credit you the price of the fish....

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I ordered from a place who claimed to have a guarantee ... I e-mailed him about issues/questions with the fish, and the ones that died in the first 48 hours. He just ignored me. But i suppose that was a different issue.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Please pm me who it is you are buying from. Sounds like a great source for fish.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
wow, I feel a little lucky. my fish I just ordered went fed ex through memphis friday night/saturday morning, but weren't delayed and made it to me by noon saturday. I did see a message on my tracking saying that shipments could be delayed... *whew* feel like I just dodged a bullet.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Anything that goes through the NY NJ airports may be having a hard time. We have had storm after storm. Another 8" expected tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I've ordered shipped fish maybe five times or so and I've never had a DOA . . . but I never order when it's super cold or super hot. Just too risky IMHO.

G

·
as long as theres no problems with shipping they are usually fine... *** had a few die a few days later due to stress but never had a doa... its also the way that particular vendor packs the fish.. its vacuum sealed and in some blue liquid which i assume is stress coat.. the fish metabolism slows down and the ammonia doesnt turn to a toxic form till you open the bag and air hits it... they explain all of that in the emails they send you.. all in all its a great experience imo...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts