Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had 2 fish die yesterday from bloat, and have been watching the tank closely and have spotted a possible third, a male saulosi. He doesn't go after food at all when I feed, sits in two nests he dug out to spawn in, and generally just sits. Clear signs for bloat, however he keeps his colors up 24/7, which is surprising for how young I believe he is (still a juvie). I've been debating pulling him an putting him into the hospital tank and treating with metronidazole, but I'm perplexed by this dilemma as I've never had problems with bloat. I think it was from a homemade batch of food I bought, as I've never had issues with other food I've used, so I bought some of my old reliable stuff for now.

Also, is metrodinazole safe for all kinds of fish? In my hospital tank I have a couple giant danios and a bichir keeping it comfy, and wouldn't want to kill off my dinosaur eel b/c of medications.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Buy a 5 gallon tank.. they are like 10 bucks, i made the mistake of waiting it out with a johanni i spotted that i thought had bloat, but i decided to wait it out.

I would quarantine him and treat him, i might be wrong but i would do it just for the sake of the fish.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I decided I'd go for it and hospital tank his ass, tho he's still a juvie if he keeps those colors he'll be better than the one I gave my ma a while back lol! No room for a 5gal tho, gotta put'em in the 10, he should be fine tho. Already at the max amount of gallons my landlord allows for apartments >.> all these regulations!

·
Registered
623 Posts
olsonwa07 said:
Ya I decided I'd go for it and hospital tank his ass, tho he's still a juvie if he keeps those colors he'll be better than the one I gave my ma a while back lol! No room for a 5gal tho, gotta put'em in the 10, he should be fine tho. Already at the max amount of gallons my landlord allows for apartments >.> all these regulations!
you have a gallon regulation? What kind of 1984 society do you live in? That's nuts. Out of curiousity what is your limit? If they are worried about weight 10 gallons is nothing. In reality 4 people sitting at a table weigh more than a 100 g tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts