Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have two adult Brevis Kitumba(spelling), not sure about the sexes. Do you guys consider it wrong to mix variants? Most of the fish I see for sale only have a common name, Brevis, Multis, ect. Is it wrong to mix variants and just label the fry as "Brevis" when selling them?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what would you do? Would you cull the Brevis I have now and just start with a new batch? I suppose I could just not sell fry.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
hybridization within the species isn't a good thing... it can cause issues down the line for other breeders, etc.

I don't know if I can call it wrong... just not what I like to see happen. I wouldn't kill the two fish you have... someone else might be hunting for Kitumba and be very glad to find them. So if you do cull, I'd cull to the Trading Post! :thumb:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Kitumba are easy enough to find, just get more. It is spring auction season for local aquarium clubs, there is no better time than now to find every thing your looking for, and not have to worry about shipping.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Most of the fish I see for sale only have a common name, Brevis, Multis, ect. Is it wrong to mix variants and just label the fry as "Brevis" when selling them?
For all you know that's why the brevis that you're seeing for sale don't have a location or variant name specified. Somone may have gone ahead and done what you're asking about. If you're going to breed and pass on fry, you should be confident of your sources. Maybe the store just doesn't know or care enough to ask their source for this info, but then that raises red flags as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts