Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have two juvenile Frontosas in a peaceful tank with some clown loaches. Turns out the loaches hadn't fully recovered from their ich from the person I got them from. I prefer to raise the water temperature when I have ich as that has never failed me, and it didn't this time either. The clown loaches were cured just fine and the Frontosas weren't affected by the ich, but the temporary raised water temperature caused them to hide away. Wondering an ETA on juvenile Frontosas recovering from a temporary temperature increase. And I mean more of a mood recovery than a physical recovery. They handled it physically just fine. Parameters are where I like them to be. They're breathing and eating just fine and periodically swimming about, just not as much as before, since there was a temporary stress on them. Deep down I think they're a little mad at me too! Because as we all know, cichlids have great personalities, and rather than eating out of my hand, they're shying away now (better each day though).

https://i.imgur.com/muZddcR.png

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Well.. How, ridiculously cool and charming, is this? :)
-
And yes, you've discovered just how sensitive and 'dialed-in' Cichlids (of all types) can be to their aquarium environment. You don't mention in your post (or linked image) just how big the aquarium is, that you are keeping these Rift Lake Tanganyika originating, Cyphotilapia frontosa in? I suspect your aquarium is a bit on the 'smallish' side? So, shifts in the water environment and quality are much more noticeable by the occupants of a smaller tank, than a relatively large aquarium with a larger volume of water.
And yes, your Fronts will definitely recover from this rather horrible tank temperature raising insult, you so egregiously inflicted upon them! When? Well, that is certainly up to them I suppose, in how long they want YOU to endure, 'The Sulks'. :roll:
-
And, oddly enough.... I can TOTALLY see you enjoying the antics and absolute over-the-top personality of an individually kept New World originating Astronotus ocellatus, the (somewhat famous!) OSCAR Cichlid. If any Cichlid species could be nominated as The Champion in conveying so much - happy, glad, so what? - information to their owner? The Oscar would definitely get my vote! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a lovely response. Thank you for it. Well they are in this 30 gallon tank until they get bigger, then they'll be in my 55 until they get bigger, 75, 100, etc. I have many tanks. You're right about Oscars I've had them many times before as well and they have more personality than any cichlid I've ever had. Talk about drama queens. I only ever had Frontosas once, and I was holding them for a little bit so it was just temporary in my old African tank. Like everyone else I've always loved their calmness and beauty so I wanted a couple. I've been a cichlid collector for 12 years now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts