Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

For years i had a saltwater tank that recently i decided to take a break from. I sold all the corals and cleaned the tank up. I now have a cleaned 120 (48x24x24) with a 30gal sump tank underneath that i want to start up as a malawi tank. My question is all the extra equipment i had for the saltwater tank like protein skimmer and 2 phosban reactors (one was for charcoal other was for a nitrate media) can they be used to any advantage with a malawi setup or would it just be overkill? Also the main sump pump will pump about 1000 g/hr, is this to big of a main pump for a malawi tank? Inside the main tank i also had a small maxijet powerhead and a koralia powerhead (1200g/hr) for circulation. The corals loved this but would using the powerheads in a malawi tank be too much circulation?

Any opinions appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The only thing not needed is the protein skimmer, as they'don't work very efficiently in fresh water. Since you already have the reactors, you could use them. They can only improve water quality. I'd tend to use something that can be recharged like Purigen rather than carbon just from a cost standpoint. If the reactors become more work than you want to do, then they're really not needed, as water changes can accomplish the task or reducing organics and nitrates. Water changes are the key difference, as more volume is changed in a freshwater tank and changes are done more often.

The pump gph output is fine.

Not sure about Malawi current likes/dislikes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts