Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,937 Posts
I'm sorry your Gold Severum is giving you so many problems.
Usually those are healthy, vigorous and can be some pretty tough characters at times when placed in a community tank. It's possible you got one from a batch that had been excessively line-bred (brother-sister spawnings), through too many generations. Or, maybe you just wound up with a sickly one.
Who knows? :unsure:
But for now, lets see what we can do to help that Cichlid.
  • Quarantine: I like that you have placed the fish into a quarantine/hospital tank. The 20 gallon is a good one (mine is currently just a 10 gallon). Keeping your stressed Severum away from all of that community tank business, might be a good thing now for it.
  • Treatment: I'm not much of a fan of treating aggressively with medications for popeye. It's some kind of bacterial infection, and slinging meds at the problem will almost always make it worse. What you CAN do is to place this Cichlid onto an aggressive water change schedule. With popeye, just pushing some serious amounts of water through the tank to eliminate Nitrates and (most importantly) bring the bacteria count down in the water to almost nothing, may be the best thing you can do for your Severum. Build up the water changes slowly until you are pushing anywhere from 60 to 75 percent water through the quarantine tank - DAILY. Also, I would add one tablespoon of non-iodized (aquarium) salt for 3 gallons of water in that tank. That is mostly just to prevent opportunistic infections or fungus from attacking the fish. Add salt back to the amount returned to the tank after water changes (salt doesn't evaporate and will build up in the water). And of course, ensure your filtration for the quarantine tank is kept clean by rinsing in tank water and is running optimally.
  • Follow-On Care: Feeding your Severum and Cichlids with high-quality food, will help to maintain their health and well-being a lot. Just as it is in us humans... providing a high quality diet for your Cichlids will help to build up their immune systems, and prevent sickness or disease outbreaks. Throw out all pellet or flake food that is six months in age or older. Refrigerate all new foods. Provide a variety of Red (high protein) and Green (high Veggie Content) pellet and flake foods. Offer weekly 'treats' of pealed peas, weighted/rubber banded pieces of sliced zucchini, fresh peeled shrimp pieces and live earth worms! (yumm!).
With a good bit of work, and by upping your game a bit in tank maintenance and feeding - your Severum (and the rest of your community tank occupants) should pull through this thing, just fine. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,937 Posts
You can say there is this thing called 'aquarium salt'. But really, all you need is just simple NON-IODIZED Sodium Chloride (NaCl). That is - cheap ol' table salt.
And sure, if you want to add those Epsom salts instead? Go ahead! I've never heard of it being used to treat bacteria infections before... but, at least it won't hurt.
Just be sure to up the frequency and percentage of those water changes for the quarantine tank your sick Severum is in.
That will probably do more to help this fish than anything else you attempt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts