Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
works practically the same in fish as it does in people if you couldn't pick up on the parallel

:thumb:

·
Registered
53 Posts
My point was trying to explain HOW it works as a laxative and "fluid reducer" and to see if the mechanism of action would generalize over from humans to fish. Care to explain HOW you think it works? :-? :wink: :-?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here is a CME (continuing medical education) article about constipation which states that Epsom salt works as a "water binding" osmotic laxative as I have described above. Its in table2 of the treatment section.

In order for it to have that effect it must be in a higher concentration in the intestines than in the surrounding water. So unless you can get the Epsom salt into their food then it cant be done by just adding it to the aquarium.

Although I haven't had the pleasure of trying it myself, I have no doubt that it works in humans. I'm also not debating that Epsom salt may be beneficial in other ways in the aquarium (such as raising the KH/ GH). What I am saying is that it doesnt work as a "laxative" in fish (or at least not by the same mechanism as it does in humans). If another fish expert can explain a different pharmacologic mechanism then I will have learned my new thing for the day :D :thumb:

Also - if you have a problem with german medical journals then let me know and I will search a little harder and find an English one. :D I just came across that one first.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
thevein said:
works practically the same in fish as it does in people if you couldn't pick up on the parallel

:thumb:
What I'm still waiting for from someone is how it gets into the fish's gut in enough of a concentration to be effective as a laxative. There's no parallel unless freshwater fish ingest it same as humans, and obviouisly they don't.

Anyone else? How does this 'age old' science work in fish, if it can't get into their gut in enough of a concentration to be effective. Not looking for 'is epsom effective as a laxative'? That's obvious, it is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
+1 prov356

I'm always up for learning new things but some supporting evidence would be nice.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
jevans89 said:
+1 prov356

I'm always up for learning new things but some supporting evidence would be nice.
It may very well work in fish, but I'm really doubting it. I've never been able to find anything to support it other than experiential evidence. I'm thinking someone, somewhere way back when used it to treat their fish since it works in humans. Their fish got better and so it's reputation as an effective fish laxative was born.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Once again , self experience proves that it does work in fish, but as I said before by a different mechanism.

It relaxes the muscle that controls the bowel causing it to force a movement.

Is it in anyway stress free? Probably not, it must cause some sort of discomfort but it does cause a bowel movement by the relaxation of the muscles.
It may very well work in fish, but I'm really doubting it.
Prov, you really honestly think that all the people that say they have seen it work are just seeing the situation work itself out on its own and it is simply irony?

I doubt you must dig up every single scientific fact to say something works in your book. :thumb:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
JWerner2 said:
Once again , self experience proves that it does work in fish, but as I said before by a different mechanism.

It relaxes the muscle that controls the bowel causing it to force a movement.

Is it in anyway stress free? Probably not, it must cause some sort of discomfort but it does cause a bowel movement by the relaxation of the muscles.
It may very well work in fish, but I'm really doubting it.
Prov, you really honestly think that all the people that say they have seen it work are just seeing the situation work itself out on its own and it is simply irony?

I doubt you must dig up every single scientific fact to say something works in your book. :thumb:
I'm allowed to be skeptical. :) Myths abound in this hobby.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'm trying it for the first time following the guidelines in the library of 2 tblspoons per 10g

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.