Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a female Acei holding for exactly 3 weeks to the hour, so 21 days. My question is, would it be Okay to strip the fry yet or should I wait a few more days? I'm going to be pretty busy over the course of the next several days and figured maybe today would be good for me, but maybe not for the little guys. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
137 Posts
3 weeks should be plenty of time for the fry to develop properly :thumb: . I usually strip my females any time between 2.5-3 weeks, and the fry are usually free swimming by then :fish: Sometimes, it depends on the temperature - fry tend to grow faster in warmer water.(77-80 degrees F)

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
You can absolutely strip at this time. They will be free swimming and their egg-sacs should be totally or almost totally gone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. This was her first time holding and I think I have 8 or 9 little guys swimming around the bottom of a ten gallon at the moment :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ben-Jammin said:
Thanks for the input guys. This was her first time holding and I think I have 8 or 9 little guys swimming around the bottom of a ten gallon at the moment :D
congrats on the new fry!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
how soon should the fry be feeding once they have been spat? I stripped my female johanni yesterday and the fry are just hiding and sitting in one spot and not moving!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
adam858585 said:
how soon should the fry be feeding once they have been spat? I stripped my female johanni yesterday and the fry are just hiding and sitting in one spot and not moving!
My past experiences with my Peacocks has always ended up with the fry eating within the first day. I would say that as long as you get the food down to wherever they are sitting or hiding, they will be inclined to eat it. I'm no expert, only been interested in the hobby for a little over a year now, but I've learned quite a bit from the people on here. I can say that my new Acei fry also had a bite to eat within the first couple hours, so I would say they should take to food quickly as long as the egg sacs are gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts