Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently took the air pump/air stone out of my 29 because i am planting it in preparation for an angel among other little tetras etc. i know angels dont like alot of water movement so i took out the air pump. i had it on to make sure the top of the water was moving to oxygenate the water, so my question is will the flow from my ac50 be enough to keep the water oxygenated?

if i am totally off track with this whole process please educate me. thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have an idea that may help you, but I haven't tried it. Get some of the flexible bubble air wands and attach them across the front or even the sides of your tank so that they are about a 1/2 below the water line. You won't see them from the outside because they will be covered by the black trim. This will disrupt the surface for some extra oxygenation without upsetting your fish. I don't think I'd do it where your AC is pouring in though as it might end up putting a lot of bubbles in your water. I've been wanting to try this for awhile but just haven't gotten around to it. I don't like the look of air bubbles in the tank so this is the solution I came up with.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not familiar with bubble air wands. can you maybe post a link so i can see what you mean?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
huh, very interesting suggestion. would this make bubbles in the water like the air pump did? i am also thinking im over the bubbles. the fish did enjoy it but it looks a bit cheesy if you ask me. i will go down to walmart tomorrow and see if they have these. thanks alot for the idea.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
huh, very interesting suggestion. would this make bubbles in the water like the air pump did? i am also thinking im over the bubbles. the fish did enjoy it but it looks a bit cheesy if you ask me. i will go down to walmart tomorrow and see if they have these. thanks alot for the idea.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so would the water surface movement from only an ac 50 output in a 29 gallon be enough to oxygenate? it seems to be going fine so far, but i wanna make sure. if my fish start spending the day with their faces out of the water my question will be answered, but who wants to put them through that!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
In a well planted tank even with CO2 injection, O2 is not an issue during the day because the plants and normal equilibration provide more than enough O2. At lights out/night this may be an issue because both the plants and the fish are giving off CO2 and using O2, an airstone on a timer might do the trick and since angels pretty much go to sleep down among the plants at dark they won't be bothered by currents.

In my 40 high planted angel tank I have an AC70 breaking the surface always, an Eheim 2215 dumping underwater and a Koralia Nano providing current for the plants. A Rena airstone with a Whisper 40 airpump come on about a half hour after the pressurized CO2 goes off and a half hour before lights off, it goes off early morning when the CO2 comes on. The angels and the plants do fine and now that the angels are bigger they seem to relish the currents and at the least they are strong swimmers and ignore it entirely.

Even when small (quarter size) as long as there was a place of relative calm the angels hung around there when they weren't investigating everywhere else including the currents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts