Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I will be setting up a 150 gallon tank in the future and I am trying to get equipment rounded up. My residence says about 70F year round. Will a Visi-Therm Stealth Heater - 250W be enough to keep the tank 78F? I will more than likely install a UGJ system as well. Thanks in advance. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Hello.....i would use two of them. I have a 125 gal with a 65 gal sump and i have two in mine.

Tekjunky

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you doing that as a failsafe feature, or is that what it takes to keep it up to temp?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a single Ebo-Jager 250 watt heater on my 180. My current tank temperature is 78 and my room temperature is between 72 and 74. YMMV with the Stealth.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I use one 250W visi therm on my 125 gal and it holds a very steady 80*F…

In my experience most people use/recommend far more wattage than “necessaryâ€

·
Registered
302 Posts
Like nc_nutcase said most people over watt their tanks. I also have a 250w in my 125 and I maintaine 78 degrees with no problems. And also in my fishroom all my tanks are under wattage on the heaters My 40s and 50s only run 50w heaters and I maintaine 78 degrees in those. I use to run no heaters in my fishroom and I can maintain 75 degrees so if my heater fail I woun't boil or freeze my fish.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
You do NOT need more heaters or wattage. I did a detailed analysis on a post the other day - see the link below.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=170199

My basement is 70 F and my 250 Watt heater is set for 77-78 and it is on less than 1/3 of the time and keeps a constant 77-78 temp.
When I started up my tank I thought I would need more so ran two 250 W heaters but only one would come on no matter how I calibrated them - so I thought that is a waste of one heater.
Large tanks hold heat better than small ones. You can read that entire link above for details.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all of you for the information, exactly what I was looking for. Love this Fourm!! :fish: :fish:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.