Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I ended up with a jack dempsy cichlid, someone had him in a 10 gal tank and asked me if I wanted him. I felt bad and took him in. he is about 4in long, Im fairly certin its a male judging by the spots on his gills. This is my first experience with this speicies and *** quickly come to like the little guy, he comes to the front of the tank every time I walk by. My biggest concern is my tank size. He is currently living by himself in my largest tank that is 46gal. I dont have space or money for a larger tank, I was looking for others opinions if he would be ok in there long term if he is by himself (I know its not exactly ideal). Just wanted others input...oh yeah the tank is only 3 feet long but it dose have a bowe front that gives quite a bit of depth to the tank.

·
Registered
406 Posts
a 46 bow front for a single JD will be fine. Great to hear that you rescued the little guy from a 10 gallon. I keep pairs in a 40 breeder tank which has a only a slightly larger footprint than yours and I've never had an issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! Im really enjoying him, I have read a lot of places that jds can tend to hide a lot but this guy is almost always out and about. If I sit by his tank he always swims up to the corner where I feed him at and waits for food, almost like a little puppy beaging for food!

·
Registered
406 Posts
If they are comfortable with you, they'll come to the tank and beg for food. But I do find if you make changes to the tank or spook them, they might hide for a little bit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced pf sand with black gravel a few weeks ago and its amazing how much his colors have changed! He is stunning! He is now about 6 inches. About a month ago I put an inch long krib fry in his tank thinking he would eat it but to my amazement he never touched it. Now the little krib follows the jd around as he cruzes the tank! Im waiting for the jd to snap one day...maybe when he is bigger?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Just odd at 6" it didn't eat it. You must have a mellow jd. Your lucky. Nice job on saving the jd.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Good job. While not Ideal, a 46 bow will be fine for him.

My adult Nic pair are in a 46g bow and do fine.

....Bill

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Made a dumb move yesterday, I have a pair of cons and the male started beating up the female prity badly. So I got the bright idea to put him in the jd tank Temporarily to give the female a chance to recover (hes only 2in). Well I put the con in the jd tank and the little krib whos half the cons size began attacking the con without mercy! The commotion got the jds attention and he immedeatly swam over and pind the con to the corner of the tank! He would have killed it had I not immedeatly scooped the con out! Well the con is none the worse for the ware back with the female, oddly enough he stopped picking on her...what is facinating me is how the jd lets the krib be. Today I fed him a grasshopper the same size as the krib and he swallowed it without a problem! For some reason he dosent view the krib as food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts