Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting 10 Kilesas, around 2", to put in a 4L x 2.5T x 2W tank, with 10 adult Synodontis multipunctatus (already in there).

My question is, have any of you kept Enants with adult Synos?

How did it go?

What do you recommend?

I have been keeping Tangs for over 10 years now and would normally have a feel for what mixes and what doesn't, but this one has me leaning towards moving on the multipunctatus. As you can probably make out, I don't want to. However, I'll protect my investment as best I can.

Thanks in advance. :)

Chris

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Yes I did as similar mix in a 84"x24"x24".
I do not recommend it now.
I think the Synos (even small ones like lucipinnis) keep the Enants awake at night so they do not do as well as without them.

All the best James

PS sorry I was going to post a video of em but my photobucket account is doing something weird and I can not find my videos on it. :oops:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I'm thinking.

I have seen other fishkeepers try different mixes with Enants and they just don't seem to work. The Enants need to be left alone to thrive?

I suppose I really knew what the answer would be :D

Cheers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have kept that combo (kilesa and cyp micros) in a 48"x12" for a year and a half or so, and they grew out well and the species have gotten along fine. I like them together a lot, and don't wish I could add anything else. Main issue for me has been breeding behavior of adults in a limited space, as the males of both species have gotten rough on each other at times as well as on females. The extra width you have will hopefully make a real difference; in my case, I ended up losing the kilesa females (several as juvies, when they were more sensitive, but later a holding one who was bothered a little too much, I think), and my cyps numbers dropped from 10 or 11 to 6, with two males, one very dominant over the other. Finally ready to move them to a bigger tank, with enough length to support (I hope) two males of each species.

In your setup, extra cat-free floor space for maybe one more male kilesa to stake out will be nice. Can't imagine any of the sifters would be happy with shoals of cats crashing through their sand pits. Seems to me it might stress some of them out as juvies in ways that might risk their health, and then later on it might get in the way of breeding behavior.

Congrats on getting some nice fish! :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts