Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll have an empty 20 long soon w/ an aquaclear 50 and 20.
I'm thinking of getting a trio of gold occies.
Could I also get away with a pair of calvus, the ones from my lfs are all pretty small about 1.5" max most around 1"
I planned to have a rock structure on one sided that tapered down to a shell bed with about a dozen or so shells.

Its going to fit under the cabinet of my other shellie tank so I wanted to keep the tanks similar.
48x24x10
9adult multies
a bunch of fry
3 julie marilri
a few fry
6 syno petricola
1 bristlenose.

If room allows I'd take 3 of the smaller petricola and add them to the 20 long.

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
I'd choose either the shellies or the lucipinnis (petricola) but not both. If you did the calvus instead you would buy six and let them form a pair. The 30" tank might be too tight for the pair bonding phase.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
I'd choose either the shellies or the lucipinnis (petricola) but not both. If you did the calvus instead you would buy six and let them form a pair. The 30" tank might be too tight for the pair bonding phase.
I think I'm just going to move my dwarf petricola over to the 20 and get a few calvus, to try and get a pair. Only problem is my lfs has all their calvus really really small. I've read they take a long time to reach full size.

I ordered another two dozen shells for my 50g. So I think I'm just going to let the multies do there thing, may add a couple more julies to just fill out the tank.

50g 48x24x10h with 9 adult multies 3m-6f, i have the 3 julies 1 pair 1 odd ball, ill add a couple more to try and get another pair, and 1 bristlenose

20g 30"x12x12h with a pair of calvus only 1" in size and the 6 dwarf petricola largest being just shy of 3" smallest under 2", and 1 bristlenose

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
You want to buy six calvus so they can choose a mate when mature...2 might not work long term.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anything else I could add? I'm headed to my lfs to see what tangs they have.

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
Instead of the calvus? Julidochromis, if they have a small peaceful species like Gombe.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found a guy from my local club who will sell me 5 cyphochromis for a really good deal
They are at 1" and he also has two different f1 comps he's growing out. I'll grow out the cyphos and add them to my other tank or sell them but its too good a deal to pass up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.