Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question before I make my purchase. Trying to decide between a Marineland Emperor 280 and a Penguin 200 for my growout/hospital 10 gallon. Prices are comparable and I really don't see much (if any) difference between the two. I have very little experience with HOBs so would love some input.

EDIT* now I've found a Marineland Millennium 3000 at the same price. so now I've got 3 to consider.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the emp280 will have a lot of flow for the 10g so if you get that make sure it is the adjustable flow one which i think they stopped making.

·
Registered
721 Posts
They are both made by the same firm-but I would chose the Penguin filter. Priced lower and will do the same job well. I would Not use a Penguin 200 on a 10 gallon grow-out tank. It is more than is needed... the Penguin 100 in my opinion is better for such a small tank..but the decision rests with you. 8)

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I have a small 100gph Walmart aquatech on my 10gal, with a fine sand substrate, the return from it blows my sand away till I have a bare spot on the bottom.

I think it would depend on the substrate, gravel or bare bottom should be fine with either choice. but if you use sand, 2 smaller filters may be the best bet.

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
The Emperor 280 is a better choice because it comes with are-useable plastic cartridge you can fill with your own media. However, for a 10 gallon tank, I think I'd get something cheaper.

I keep sponge filters in my larger tanks and move them to the 10 gallon hospital tank when needed. That way there is a culture ready when I set up the tank. I then add a cheap filter that I can put carbon in when I want to remove medications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts