Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Emperor 400 filter, and sometimes the impeller makes loud grinding/rattling noises. This happens quite a bit. I can usually fix it by unplugging the filter for a few seconds. I clean the impeller every week.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Mike

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yes. I don't run it anymore, but I have an emp 400 that did the same thing. I would just hit the top of it or mess with the flow rate. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I think after a while the impeller wears out and need replacing. I never replaced mine, so I couldn't say for sure.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Does anyone else have this problem

The big weakness in every HOB, the impeller assembly.
Usually it`s the shaft that has worn out.
They can run quiet right out of the box.
They can be noisy and quiet down after a couple of weeks.
They can intermittently run quiet.
They can be noisy from the first day and stay that way until you finally yank it and toss it out a window.
Replacing the impeller could quiet it, or not.
With the poor quality(my opinion)materials used, it`s a crapshoot as to any success you might have with a new impeller.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I played with it and unplugged it a bunch of times. It is now running more or less quiet. I wish that someone would make an Eheim quality HOB.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.