Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got these at Sam's Club for <$7.00 20 in a pack

Slightly bigger but no trimming required. No need to even disassemble the gray boxes.

Perfect fit, no trimming necessary :D Easy and cheap as heck, about 34 cents a piece.
I am using a diy canister for my bio, But these may work also, I'm just not sure how long they would hold to biweekly washings, they may loose their stiffness.
But Put one before your bio cartridge and replace it or rinse it when it gets clogged and it's easier than trying to restuff and snap those boxes together when you have them stuffed with floss.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know this post is a little older, but I think it deserves a bump. I just saw this and I just have to give you props for thinking of this.

Since some time has passed, how well are these working for you as filters? Are they working well? I may just go buy a box today.

- Newtrip

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're working great. Once week I just rinse them out, so far only the back 2 need any rinsing or anything, after about 3 weeks I just move the front ones to the back and put new ones in the front.
I just swish them in water and slap them around in a bucket to get the crud out of them, they don't clog as quickly as the factory inserts, but appear to trap just as much, if not more junk.
The painted logo doesn't wash away or degrade, I think some may have a concern over that.

Hide the box! Women have some unique talent of sniffing these things out on cleaning day :wink:
But they're cheap enough to share.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hide the box! Women have some unique talent of sniffing these things out on cleaning day :wink:
:lol: We're like hounds, I tell ya.

I got two (very used) Emperor 400's with my 125, and I've never used them before. I went out and bought the bio wheels which is simple enough, and the blue cartridges, but everyone keeps mentioning the "grey cartridges," which I have no clue about. I haven't seen them in the stores. Do they come with the filter originally? Do you put whateverthecrap you want in them?

Not to hijack your thread or anything, just curious :thumb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
CDMOK said:
I got two (very used) Emperor 400's with my 125, and I've never used them before. I went out and bought the bio wheels which is simple enough, and the blue cartridges, but everyone keeps mentioning the "grey cartridges," which I have no clue about. I haven't seen them in the stores. Do they come with the filter originally? Do you put whateverthecrap you want in them?

Not to hijack your thread or anything, just curious :thumb:
Here is an example of them:

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Vpasp/sho ... map=110454

They just hold different types of media in addition to the regular blue pads. Some people cut their own blue filter pads and stick them in the grey cartridges. Other people stuff them full of filter floss or charcoal or whatever their heart desires. So yep, you do put "whateverthecrap" you want in them. :lol:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ahhh, and the light is shed.

Thanks a ton :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love this idea! Now I just have to get a Sam's membership :D

One question though, I looked at walleyworld and found the normal size scotch-brite scour pads that are about 6"x4". On the back of the box it says in bold print "Not for aquarium use.". Do you think they are just covering their butts like GE silicone I or is this something legit? If all is well, then this is a great idea for any h.o.b. filters since you can easily trim these to different sizes :thumb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
mddjr5 said:
I love this idea! Now I just have to get a Sam's membership :D

One question though, I looked at walleyworld and found the normal size scotch-brite scour pads that are about 6"x4". On the back of the box it says in bold print "Not for aquarium use.". Do you think they are just covering their butts like GE silicone I or is this something legit? If all is well, then this is a great idea for any h.o.b. filters since you can easily trim these to different sizes :thumb:
I noticed that as well. It also says not to use the pads on glass or ceramic, so I think it indicates that because if you use it to scrub the glass of an aquarium, it will scratch. I've got three of these in my filters and have not seen any issues so far.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i am guessing that if bulldogg has been using them for over a month without any problems then they should be OK :thumb: i'm glad to hear that you haven't had any problems either :) that does it! i'm going to give it a try!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've always used plastic pot scrubbers for filter media - us cheapo Aussies love economising!

However, had a bit of an incident the other week I thought worth sharing:

Cleaned my dad's aquarium filter for him - Sacem 1000 External Canister on a 3ft Tank, 4 young Acei, 3 mature Yellow Labs and a Bristle Nose catfish.

The canister is half full of ceramic rings, the rest is filter wool and a layer of course foam. The course foam had started to deteriorate and I only had a wad of new wool on me, so my dad found some brand new 3M ScotchBrite pads in the cupboard (the green scourers - as per the pic in the first post of this thread).
On the packet it states "Sterile if boiled", so my dad boiled up a couple of pads, I cut them to size and into the canister filter they went. When cleaning the filter I used only tank water, didn't wipe down the interior and placed the ceramic into a bucket of tank water not even rinsing it. I replaced the wool and course foam only.

About a week later all the fish stopped swimming, looking quite sick resting on the bottom. Then the Acei started to die one by one. Even the BN was looking crook.

As my little niece regularly feeds these fish I assumed she had been over feeding them and combined with a newly cleaned filter, the tank's nitrogen cycle may have crashed.

After one 20% and three 50% water changes over 5 days, the fish were still sick with all the Acei gone.

Then it clicked - the only thing different to my usual process of cleaning a filter, was the 3M ScotchBrite.

So I pulled that out, did an 80% water change and wouldn't you know it - all the surviving fish (the E.Yellows and the catfish) are all happy and swimming around again. It's been over a week since removing the scourer pads and currently the male Yellow is even trying to spawn.

So it had to be the ScotchBrite pads, surely.
I must confess I didn't test the water for ammonia spiking, and I wish I had of because it would have been more conclusive that the ScotchBrite pads were the culprit.
That said, I still reckon it was the scourer pads.

I thought it worthwhile letting people know - even if the packet says "Sterile after boiling" it doesn't mean it'll be safe for fish.

Some people over here in Oz reckon the manufacturers try to make pot scrubbers completely anti-biological and they use chemicals to achieve this.
Might be a different country but they're still same brand, same product name!

I've used scourer pads for years, can't remember what brand I got long ago, but never had a problem with them until now. :(

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sucks! I just put new pads in 2 different tanks thursday, haven't had any problems yet. Wonder if boiling them releases something? I also read somewhere, that boiling makes them sterile, but maybe it releases something?
I've never boiled these, I got some no-scratch ones I boiled to clean the inside glass with, no problems there either. Even in "Oz" if they say sterile, they should indeed be "sterile". I hope no one else has had similar experiences with them. These pads are a bit dense, they will get build up over a week, and may need to be cleaned or replaced, you may have disrupted the cycle. But with the other media it seems you'd be safe, I do apologize if it was the pads.
But I have additional media also, plenty of bio in my diy canister, using potscrubers. I could probably take out the emperor and be safe. But it sounds like the scotchbrite may have done something.
They get bacteria buildup on both sides, maybe they just sucked out the O2? Did you have a spray bar? Agitation? It could have been anti-bacterial agents also?

·
Registered
247 Posts
No need to apologise mate. :wink:
Didn't mean to shoot down your suggestion as it's a great idea, it was just coincidental I've recently had a disaster with the very same pads.
I've been using pot scrubbing pads for years now and my recent use of the ScotchBrites was without seeing your suggestion at all. It wasn't until after my disaster I did a search on here and found your thread.
I've either done something wrong or 3M have changed their manufacturing in Australia. One guess is 3M may have started using metal particles to make them more abrasive? Who knows??

I now wish I had of tested the water for an ammonia spike, to confirm any crash in the cycle, but I did all the right things - used only tank water to clean the filter, preserved the ceramic rings which are the primary bio media, and no feeding for two days afterwards.
The best I can surmise is to use 100% nylon pads next time and I'm currently trying to find out what brands people are using.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think that the pads have an anti-bacterial/fungicide in them making them last longer in the kitchen, but making them poisonous in the aquarium. I have no proof of this of course, just my suspicion.
On a related note. I was at my local walmart the other day and I saw that they have thin foam filters for window ac units. They look perfect for mechanical filtration. I plan to cut one down to size and stuff it in my penguin 200. Hopefully I will have better results than others have had with the scotch-brite pads.
I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
so are the scotch brights a no no for aquariums or was that just one instance? I was going to go out and get some, but now I am unsure.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've still had no trouble with the scotchbrites, the paint is non toxic. The air conditioner material should work also as long as it doesn't have any anti microbial stuff on it.
I get the 6X9 pads in the box, they fit perfect. You could probably boil them if you want, but I haven't had a problem yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
here is my setup

Front Left and Right: Blue Carbon Filters, w'o the carbon and Seachem Matrix Added
2nd I have the Scotch Pads
3rd on the left side I have bio ceramic rings and on the right I have Nitra Zorb

I bought some poly fil, but it just looks like I dont have room for it, any opinions on my setup?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
looks great to me, I'd just swap the scotch brite and the normal filters just because the scotch brite is cheap to replace. You could keep the refills for bio and just use the scotchbrite pads to keeep them a bit cleaner

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the input, it looks like my emperor needs some cleaning...However, do I need to adjust the water flow at all, because the flow is over the scotch bright pads. I have the tab pulled all the way out for maximum water flow.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts