Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I walked in to the room with my 125g cichlid tank and the water was white as can be. Then I see a paint brush with fresh paint on it that my kids put in the tank. The paint is a white low VOC latex paint.

Not entirely sure how long it was like that. I would guess maybe an hour. I removed all of the fish and put them in my other tanks. I took out all of my porous texas holey rock and removed every and all ornaments and the sand substrate. Then I drained the tank completely.

I plan to just throw out my filter media(FX5) as well.

My main question is; How can I clean my FX5 and get it free of any traces of the paint for when I start it up again? Would running bleach through it then clean water do the trick or something different entirely, OR is that filter not good anymore?

Please help and thank you!

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
I'd throw away the media and scrub the inside vigorously with brushes. No bleach. Replace the hoses. Use established media from your other tanks to avoid a new cycle. Best of luck.

·
2,106 Posts
I'd agree with that approach. Given that it is latex and soluble in water, this should be enough.

How large a brush was it? And did they pour paint into the tank? Are they getting allowance this week? ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I was worried about the paint drying in some form inside the FX5 so I put a bleach to water solution in of 10:1 and filled the tank up and ran it with the filter(no media) for a few hours. THEN I checked back here lol.

Should that be enough? Or should I do a white vingegar solution as well?

Now I have to make sure the bleach is all out of the tank now, which I read that a heavy rinse of dechlor water a few times should remove all of it?

It was a medium sized brush, no paint was poured in to the tank, they just took the fresh paint on the brush and swished it in the water it seems.

Regarding my texas holey rock, should I soak those in something and/or boil them to get rid of any contaminates?

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
Bleach will not remove dry paint any better than plain water. So no more chemicals and lots of dechlor. Test for chlorine before adding fish.

I would throw the holey rock away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
Bleach will not remove dry paint any better than plain water. So no more chemicals and lots of dechlor. Test for chlorine before adding fish.

I would throw the holey rock away.
Yeah I'm kind of figuring that out. I was just in panic mode but at least everything is crystal clean now I guess...

Would a white vinegar or baking soda rinse be ideal or no?

The bleach is all drained from everything and I let the tank and filter soak in heavy dechlor water for about 6 hours. Drained that and scrubbed everything. That's where I'm at now.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I think that your holey rock would probably still be okay if you scrubbed it good and rinsed the heck out of it, but I personally prefer a more natural look in my tank, which is why I got rid of my holey rock. I work for a company that makes SBR rubber and the high solids latex that goes into paint. By the time we are done refining it there's very little VOC's left since it all residuals are recycled and sent back into the process. I honestly feel like if enough "harmful chemicals" were introduced into the water to permanently taint the rocks, then all of your stock would be dead.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You guys are way overthinking this if you ask me. The vast majority of paints once cured are not harmful to fish, just as in painting 3D bg's what is harmful is fresh uncured paint, once it is cured there's not much to worry over. If it did not kill them when it was dipped into the water then you have nothing to worry about now that is it dried. Throwing away the hoses and holy rock is just tossing things for no reason.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to make sure that this tank is ready to go when I start cycling it again with zero traces of harmful chemicals. I'm going to spray a vinegar solution on the calcium deposits and hard to remove stuff then going to run a high dechlor solution again for several hours THEN let it sit dry for a week.

Is this satisfactory, or would you guys recommend something else added or different altogether?

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
If you need to use vinegar for calcium deposits, that is a separate thing...don't do it because of the paint. No need for the drying period IMO either.

·
2,106 Posts
With bleach, do a good rinse with clean water then drain. repeat. Then fill tank with water, add a double dose of your dechlor of choice. Drain again, then fill as normal. Very easy to get rid of bleach except for porous things like driftwood. Probably easiest to leave filter hoses in place, and clean the filter separate from tank. Connect hoses and run filter when you add the double dose of dechlor. Of course, this also might be a good time/excuse to fully clean those hoses.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Fishoutofwater said:
I want to make sure that this tank is ready to go when I start cycling it again with zero traces of harmful chemicals.
Don't cycle it again. Just grab some existing media from another tank. Maybe add one-third water from another tank. Fill the rest of the tank with treated fresh water and you are good to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts