Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
That Oscar is very sick. What are the nitrAtes and ammonia at in this tank? Has the puffer been nipping the Oscar?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Puffer is a big wuss and the oscar likes to chase him normally...he dont nip him and all water levels are great? He seems better today but he was like in the video for 2-3 days

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Sickaqua, ammonia must be 0 at all times. Saying ammonia is "even" at 0 is a bit of a warning sign?
what did nitrate and nitrite measure at?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Number 6, what makes you think that Oscar is "very sick"?? Oscars love to hide behind or in things, that's probably why he's trying to get in that half pipe. My Oscar is 13inches, 5 years old and lays flat on the bottom of the tank as if he is dead every time I change/clean water (twice a week). If some one comes up to the tank too fast and he gets startled he goes right to the bottom and plays dead. He has been doing this since he was 2 inches. The Oscar in the video looks very good to me, nice bright coloring, no problem swimming, and if he's eating well I wouldn't worry too much about those actions, Oscars are very unique fish with very unique habits.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
johnnyo513
I have owned oscars, and i know a sick fish when i see one. 9 times out of ten, i try to point out a sick fish to an owner, they dont "see" it, and then i have to put up with a post weeks later saying Ich killed their fish... Ick is not a fatal illness, so you can imagine my dfrustration.... That oscar has something wrong with it. It has hith, and from its behavior, i am assuming it is stress related not dietary. Oscars are full of personality and can become a sulky fish, but that fish isnt sulking. There is a chance it was simply upset at the camera but the op said it was acting that way for days. With any luck, this fish has already shrugged off its illness by now. Perhaps ammonia returned to 0.00

1 - 10 of 10 Posts