Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can two female African cichlid brood? I have two females and no males. I have other males in the tank but haven't seen anyone gettin jiggy with her. And she has a mouth full of eggs, and I'm talking she can barely close her mouth. Anyway back to the question can they have eggs without a male because they always do the dance next to each other. I'm sure they are both female because they both have had fry before.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If you only have 2 females in your tank and they have had fry before, then either A) they have cross bred with somethting else in your tank, or B) you are mistaken that both have had fry and it was the same one both times. They wont hold their eggs if left unfertilized by male.

What else do you have in your tank besides these 2 fish?

Are you sure the fry from both of them are not hybrids of something else?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Females will hold in the absence of males, though they usually eat them, or release them at about 4-7 days.

If you actually get fry, then obviously something in the tank fertilized them when you weren't watching.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
cichlid lova 1996+5 said:
i have 2 electric blues 2 electric yellows 2 kenyi 2 acei 1 ob peacock 2 jeweled 2 frontosa and a pleco
Aside from your pleco, anything else in the tank could potentially mate with the yellow labs. My bet is on the kenyi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts