Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, question for ya, can a lone electric yellow cichlid live in a 20 gallon high if its the only fish? i have a penguin 150 and a aquaclear 30 filter going for the tank.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Will it be able to live there? Yes. Will it be happy? Most likely not.

In my opinion, it wouldn't even be worth it. Sure, African Cichlids are pretty to look at; but what really sets them apart from most of the other fish, is their highly developed social behavior. It's truly amazing to watch males fight for dominance, show off in front of females, or watch them mark off and defend their territories, etc. You'd be missing out on all of this.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I agree with above. In a 20 gallon, the best cichlids would be shell dwellers.

Have you thought about bettas? Those are a fantastic fish for that size tank. I know they look all boring in the pet store, but give it good filtration, warm water (78ish), and he will be all over the place, he'll be your best friend! Mine came when he was called, flared at my finger, ate out of my hand, you name it. In a 20, you could also do a school of six otocinclus catfish, which in my opinion are the best algea eaters out there. They will keep the glass spotless.

If your set on cichlids, and all the more power to ya, shellies. If your just wanting to stock it, a betta and 6 oto's. You'll love it. PM me if that's the route you wanna go, I can give you lots of information and answer your questions if you'd like (or post here, there are a few betta-people lurking around).

-John

Edit: Let me just mention, the reason people think Betta is a boring species is this. In their native habitat, they have to "ride out" drought seasons, when they are only in a small amount of water (no, not puddles, not a horses hoofprint, pond size, as opposed to massive acres and acres of rice paddie), they slow down, breathe from the air, and have an uncanny ability to withstand massive amounts of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, unlike any other fish. They don't do anything during this time period, they eat little, and conserve energy. That's what happens when they are in a bowl or a 2 gallon tank or something. Put him in a tank like yours, he'll think it's the rainy season and time to find a mate! They are very very active fish in the right conditions. Heat is important, as is filtration (if it's a cycled tank, he won't shut down to prevent damage, he'll run full steam!), trust me, they are great fish!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol funny thing, i just updated my sig and havnt been on this site in FOREVER. in the 20 gallon tall i do have a male betta :) i was guna just remove him to my 20 long feeder guppy tank so i could get my electric yellow but eh...i guess ill just stick with the betta and get some other stuff. thanks guys

·
Registered
584 Posts
fishlover301 said:
lol funny thing, i just updated my sig and havnt been on this site in FOREVER. in the 20 gallon tall i do have a male betta :) i was guna just remove him to my 20 long feeder guppy tank so i could get my electric yellow but eh...i guess ill just stick with the betta and get some other stuff. thanks guys
He'll love that 20 long! Especially with lots of plants, one word of caution- beware of sharp decorations! I lost one to nicking his fin and getting an infection we lost the fight to.

Also, with whatever filtration you have on the 20, divert the output. Some use sponges, I use 20 oz. soda bottles, cut in half, taped to the output. It pushed the water against the glass so it disperses. They have a hard time swimming in current, and have a tendency to "give up" if it gets too "windy"

Welcome back to the forums, though! Hope you stick around for a while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol im addicted to oscarfishlover.com...and my oscar haha. but the bettas in a 20 tall with 5 male endler guppies. cus all the other feedergupies are loaded in the 20 long. the reason im keeping those 5 male guppies seperate is cus their just too pretty ro feed to my oscar :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heres a pic of him

·
Registered
89 Posts
My grand-daughter currently has a male betta in a ten, and a female in a "betta Barracks". He's got a great bubble nest, and we're waiting for her to get full enough to spawn! She likes her cichlids, and platys, and guppies (125, 55, 2 x20s), but spends her time with the bettas!

Charming fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts