Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. Hi all- enjoy the heck out of this. Went to the Petsmart- got a tank, and found a nice local store. Bought 4 Elec Yellows, and some Blue Malawis. And 2 Bumble Bees. That was July, '09. I am now up to 3 tanks. A 55 and 2 29's, filling with babies from all 3 species. Bumble b's not so successfull, but the Yellow's?? Holy Toledo- they must not sleep. I have them with some good rocky surroundings, and pleny of places to live-hide-BREED!! I have noticed 2 have a brownish face? Anyone seen that before? Thought it was a stressed fish.. put him in another tank- it's there, and goes away? Help? Ideas? Seems healthy- feeds as before.Nice hard water here in West NY state-

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Maybe if you posted a pic it someone would be able to help you out a little more. I have heard of what is called "bearding" with the Yellow Labs. Also I was just recently informed that the Electric Yellow is a hybrid in itself. Not sure what they are crossed with but that is what I was told in a prior thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, are the yellows with-out any black, hybrids? I have a bunch, and seems to be a female- as the bigger ones have solid black marks. I just don't know how to tell...but it's fun. Along with the blues- they have about 15 or so babies swimming around too. from 3/8" to 1 1/2". Have to post photo's, tell me what they are.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The Yellows without any Black are what i was referring to as the Electric Yellows. The ones with the black lines are the Yellow Labs is the way I would describe it. Sorry for any confusion there. Some people call the Yellow Labs, by the name electric yellows.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Yellow Labidochromis have been known as Electric Yellows since their introduction into North America in the very early 90's.

The All Yellow Labidochromis are hybrids, and have been traded under a number of names, including those used for pure Labs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts