Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have ordered an Eheim 2217 filter plus accessories on-line from Big Al's. My question is; does anyone know the overall length of the spray bar. My tank footprint is 54 inches x 18 inches. Presently I have two Aquaclear 70 HOB's and i was thinking of putting the spray bar on the 18 inch end, thereby hopefully pushing the water length ways down the tank. I am not sure at this time whether to keep both 70's running or cut back to one.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I am new to this forum and there appears to be a wealth of knowledge available, so I thought I would give it a test.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The spraybar on the 2217 is going to be about 12" long - but it couples to the over the wall outlet with a small piece of tubing so by the time you get it all together it will be around 15" across - no problem for the end of your tank. As to keeping or taking off one of the AC 70's, that a personal choice but the 2217 will give you plenty of bio. Deciding factors are fishload, do you want extra mechanical filtration, do the fish prefer extra water movement as the AC's will help with that, etc. For the amount of power that an AC 70 uses, it is a nice back-up on the tank and an extra filter if you ever need for a special occasion. The downside may be that you don't want that extra clutter (intake tube) in your tank.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think it is 13 inches. I am not home so I can not measure at this time. But I feel certain that it is 13 inches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the info, now I guess I just have to wait until Tuesday when it arrives and see how it will fit. (before cutting hose to length) lol I am hoping to have a fairly heavily stocked Lake Malawi tank and right now I have 15 Demasoni and 15 yellow labs. They are all juvies approx 1 - 1.25 inches long. I am sure by the time they grow I will have fewer. The tank size by the way is wierd being 54" long but it works out to 84 US Gallons.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I don't find cutting the hose is needed. It works better for me and my stand to leave a bit of extra length so that is can set the pan it is in out from under the stand to disconnect the valves. Bit easier that way than sticking my head in the stand. I use a tie-wrap circle to hang the hoses so they don't pull down too much. I left the extra as I thought that it might be needed later if there were a longer tank in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very good point Pfunmo, if I can get away without cutting I will certainly do so, as you say you never know what is in the future. Do you happen to know the total height of the 2217 from its base to the top of the pump? It arrives on Tuesday and I don't want any surprises like it will not fit where I wish to put it.
Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts