Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to take the pump of my Eheim 2262 and use it for my sump. I've heard the 1262 pump makes a great submersible pump. As I was making some adjustments to it, I noticed there's a sticker on it that says "do not immerse in any liquid." Can it not be used as a submersible pump?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Cannister filter pumps are not all submersible. A powerhead costs like 15 bucks though, that should be plenty for a sump.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to clarify, this is for a 240G tank that has been up and running for a few months. The sump is 100G. The tank has powerheads to circulate water. I'm wanting to replace a pump that moves 1500 gph in the sump with the Eheim while I do some repairs to it.

I have two 2262 Eheim filters and want to use one of the pumps for the sump temporarily.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have that pump and I do not believe you can submerse it. You also said that it has a warning sticker on it

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Smitty. I was surprised to find the sticker because I've seen Youtube videos of people using it in sumps and it's listed on a reef supply website as a submersible pump.

I also have a 1260 pump that doesn't have that sticker. I'll use it instead. I wanted to use the 1262 because of the higher gph but this is probably a temporary solution so it should be okay.

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
I find that odd and curious so I wonder if they've made a change? I know my older ones are submersible and the ones I see for sale online are also submersible.

Maybe email Eheim and hope for a response.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The canisters are set up different today and don't need to be submersible and having one that is not submersible is cheaper.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestion to reach out to Eheim, Dee. I was hoping you'd weigh in. This is what they said:

The pump is the same with the exception of the included attachments for the intake side. The included sticker is because it was part of a filter.

Looks like it's safe to use it as a submersible pump in the sump after all.

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
Excellent!! It does seem odd that they added that sticker to the pump when used as a filter setup but hey who knows why mfg.'s do this kind of stuff.

The only thing I will suggest is to either figure out how to add a coarse strainer to the intake or purchase the grid cover that normally comes with the stand alone pump to prevent damaging items from getting sucked into the impeller. I would avoid any type of sponge filter media as it would probably clog up too fast or restrict the flow.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Thanks for posting the response you got from Eheim. You can learn something new everyday if you come here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts