Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After falling in love with my first classic 2217 I decided to replace all the filters around the house with eheim's. So I ordered a second classic 2217. Hooked it up this morning and to my surprise it was noisy!

Straight out of the box.. making a grinding noise. I tilted it thinking it might be air trapped in...nothing would do. So I open the thing up and here is what I find:

There is a protuding part.. like a metal pimple for lack of a better word. Also some chipped parts. Looking at the plastic blades I believe it is indeed brand new but the impeller looks like its been through **** and back.

I contacted the retailer and they want me to send them the whole thing.. at my expense with possibility of refunding postal fee's later...wow.. 6 liters of wet media, hoses cut to fit my tank...they also want me to find some wrapping bubble to avoid further damage the to unit. Then after they checked the whole thing they will send me another unit... ok

Not really thrilled with this idea so I called Eheim directly, sending them the picture. The guy tells me not to worry they will send me an impeller, shaft, and rubber bushing for free. If this doesnt fix the problem he say's I will have to send to unit to the retailer.

So anyway I am not a happy customer.. In the meantime I will take the impeller and shaft from my working 2217 and try it on the motorhead of the noisy unit.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just picked up a new one as well and mine works great. I got it online from some reputable seller for $139 free shipping. Mine is working fantastic.. You may have just gotten a bad one, that happens.. luckily they are replacing things for you. Hopefully that fixes the issues.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Thread edited:
Because we have a 'Reviews' section that includes opinions on retailers, we ask that you take advantage of this resource when possible. We feel that it is better for all who use the site to have a structured place to conduct reviews. Reviews on a discussion board quickly become buried and it is inevitable that your input will not be seen next time, or the time after that. This is not the case with the reviews section. In addition, it is easy to compare retailers and products there. Thank you for your consideration.
Hope the new parts fixes the filter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd call Eheim and complain some more. If they want a happy customer, it would be in their best interest to send you another unit...postage paid. I can't imagine thay would want to loose a customer, especially in these tough times. You need to cry a little louder...it works, trust me.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Definitely looks like a used item. Work with Eheim on warranty service instead of returning the whole thing to the shady retailer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the magnet part seems used but the plastic parts of the impeller were never used thats for sure.. maybe i got a refurbished magnet or something.
I tried the impeller/shaft/rubber bushings from my silent 2217 on the noisy 2217 motorhead and there was no grinding at all...It did feel a lil bit louder than my old 2217 but maybe thats just me being paranoid. So anyway the parts Eheim will send me should fix my problem.

Sorry GTZ for mentioning the retailer ;) I will post a review on them once this is all settled.

Mike

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
dmpjr said:
I'd call Eheim and complain some more. If they want a happy customer, it would be in their best interest to send you another unit...postage paid. I can't imagine thay would want to loose a customer, especially in these tough times. You need to cry a little louder...it works, trust me.
They are sending him a replacement part for free. Why would they need to send him the entire unit? I think thats pretty good customer service. He calls and they send him the new part for free without question. I think you need to cry a little less instead of driving someone so crazy complaining that they send you something you don't need for free just to shut you up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rgr4475 said:
I think you need to cry a little less instead of driving someone so crazy complaining that they send you something you don't need for free just to shut you up.
LOL, I will have to agree to that. I have been an IT technician over the phone for a long time and I was always willing to go the extra mile for the nice and polite people. The whining ones were getting the cruise-control emotionless answers :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
The retailers response was poor, maybe they should have asked for just the head back, or the impeller, but not the whole unit!

Eheims response has been the same as Hagens was for me, I don't see that you could ask for much more than that.

There's always something that slips through the net with quality control, you've been unlucky in finding it...usually it's me :?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Having been a QA manager I can tell you that once a line was up and running smoothly we (QA Dept.) only checked about 5 percent of what goes out the door. We made electronic cables for the DOD.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got the new impeller from eheim, it did fix the problem so I wont have to send my whole unit to the retailer. I am very happy about that.

·
Registered
509 Posts
:thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.