Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of the clips is broken, but I don't think that's the problem. We'll diagnose tomorrow, but it's leaking around the edge, so I suspect it's that big o-ring in the lid. anyway, that's not even my question. I'm so canister-stupid, it's ridiculous. They're my fish, but the hubby is always helping me with the eheim on how to turn it off and stuff.

Anyway, 25-30 gallons of water on the floor later, the question is thus: in a perfectly functioning canister, should an unplugged canister leak? All the hoses were still hooked up, but it leaked anyway. This is the second time - first was during a power outage a month or so ago.

Hopefully we can keep our floor relatively dry going forward...

·
Registered
656 Posts
You shouldn't have any leaks, even unplugged. It would be a good idea if you get a large rubbermaid type container to set your filter in, this way if it leaks you can keep the water contained and off the floor. I don't have any eheim filters so I can't comment on how to fix it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shellies215 said:
You shouldn't have any leaks, even unplugged. It would be a good idea if you get a large rubbermaid type container to set your filter in, this way if it leaks you can keep the water contained and off the floor. I don't have any eheim filters so I can't comment on how to fix it.
It is. We've had a slow leak for a while, ever since I broke the clip, so the rubbermaid has been enough. But tonight was a whole new level - we lost a probably 20-25 gallons in just an hour or two. We weren't paying attention and next thing we know, water is everywhere! Good to know that it shouldn't be happening though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
tigger101023 said:
should an unplugged canister leak?
Nope, but if it leaks when plugged in it's probably going to leak when unplugged (if that helps :-? )

Sounds like a new clip and o-ring are required, I've been looking only yesterday for parts for my 2126 and am pleased to find a huge availability of spares on line.

If it's leaking really badly you'll need to bucket teh water back into the tank until spares arrive, or turn off the filter and close the valves/pull the pipes up out of the tank if you don't have valves. Of course, this will not do the bacteria in the canister any good...

Saying that...I did fix a leaky Fluval 205 with a cargo strap, ratchet up around the canister. Ran for 6 weeks like this before I finally bought an Eheim!

·
2,088 Posts
WHat model Eheim are you working with?

I have a couple Pro II's (a 2128 and a 2028) and both have leaked from the O-ring inside the priming button. In both cases, the leak happened even if filter is off. Fortunately for me, the fix was fairly straightforward - disassemble the top, remove O-ring, apply vaseline, and reinstall being careful not to pinch.

Since acquiring my first one, I now keep them inside a dish pan under the tanks, just to be sure.

In any case, google Eheim <your> Leaks that should give you more than enough information to diagnose and fix the issue.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I don't know if it matters, but vaseline is petroleum based and will eat away at the rubber ring. Granted, I don't know how long this takes.

I read a few places online recommend vegetable oil to coat it. I did that on a 404's O-Ring until my order of new rings came in. Worked great.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I suspect the slow leak might have been the clip or a lubrication issue, but I think we're past that now. We'll take a look at it tonight and then if I need to buy a replacement, better than a new filter!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts